Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 AM

Default CheatPoker

Imagine that an online poker site invented a new heads up variant called CheatPoker. CheatPoker is similar to normal NL hold ‘em poker except for the fact that one player is able to see the other player’s hole cards while the other player is able to see the flop pre-flop. Who will get the largest edge in CheatPoker?

sunek
Old 12-07-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: CheatPoker

The guy who can see the others hand pf.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:31 AM

I am not sure about that. Since non pairs only hits the flop 1 out of 3 times it must be a huge advantage to know the flop pre-flop. On top of that you will get much better value of your speculative hands like 76s and small PP's if you know the flop pre-flop.

sunek
Old 12-07-2005, 10:40 AM

How are you going to get value on the flop if he knows what you have?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 AM

Player 2 only has an advantage before the flop, player 1 has an advantage throughout the hand.

Player 2 could therefore only get value by getting lots of chips in before the flop.

I think that the key deciding factor maybe the size of the blinds in relation to the stacks. If the stacks were very deep I am sure that seeing the other players hand is more useful. Things change if player 2 could also know the turn and river.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 AM

The player who can know the flop cards will have a huge edge before the flop comes out, so the other player would never want to play a no-limit version of this game, if the game was fixed limit then:

After the flop comes out the player who can see the other players cards has ALL the information while the other player has no edge.

The player who can see his opponents cards has the edge on flop, turn and river while the player who can see the flop only has the edge before the flop.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:13 PM

This game was created in Asia.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:15 PM

I would rather know my opponents hole cards, especially in NL. This gives me a chance to bluff off my opponent and outplay him after the flop. Admittedly, it would be a bit difficult because he would know the flop in advance and would not get involved in the hand unless the flop helps him, but I can outplay him on the turn and river by representing that certain draws hit me and such.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:34 PM

The flop guy will select hands not based on how good the flops would be for him in a normal game, but based on how good the flops are for him in this game. He might be able to pass some flops that give you too good possibilities to represent draws.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:04 PM

True, it will also depend on what kind of player he is. But many players may just select the flops that help them and not think about what their opponent might be able to represent.