Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Default calling preflop reraises at low stakes

I am finding that at .25/.5 stakes when you get reraised preflop they usually have a premium hand. Like AA,KK,QQ,AK. Once in awhile you'll see an aggressive preflop player reraise with AQ,AJ. Or you'll see the rare bluff.

So that being said, what do you think I should do when I get minimum-reraised. You are getting great pot odds to see a flop. But what I am scared of is pairing up and then being dominated or he has the overpair. It's not going to pay off to see that flop if that happens too often where you lose a large pot.

So for example, I raise with KT in the cutoff. The bb min-reraises me. I am getting great pot odds to see a flop and I don't think he is playing back at me defending his blinds. What is your advice?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: calling preflop reraises at low stakes

Call but realize you need better than a one pair hand.
You're right, people only reraise with AA-QQ,AK but that's a reason to call, not to fold. You know what they have, you know where you stand, they give great odds, so call and stack them.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:28 PM

I dont find that a min reraise is often a real hand. Usually players at these levels are what I affectionately refer to as "Paranoid Schitzophrenic" A lot of them are losing players who see straights and flushes in their nightmares.

So when they pick up a real hand, a lot of them are betting pot on every street. Usually if they have a hand like QQ-AA they're reraising pot... of course I play on UB where there's a BET POT button.

But when you get minimum reraised, you should never fold. I personally always take a flop especially if I have position. Im just not going to fold to minimum reraises preflop because of the odds offered.

If they make a real reraise and I dont think they're making a play, I muck a lot of hands.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:36 PM

That's a very intriguing idea. Let's say you flop top pair. How would you proceed then with this strategy?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:15 PM

Carefully. Low limit players like to fire big bets with overpairs... that always helps.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:26 PM

You c/f when you only hit TP, what you're looking for is a cheap monster(well 2 pr at least). Using your example of KT you're looking for a flop like KxT or JQA, notice how screwed villian is if he's holding something really strong like rockets. JMO
Old 12-30-2005, 07:29 PM

Min-reraises = AA alot vs passiveish players, especially if they have a medium stack, like 70bb's. JMO and JME.