Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 PM

Default I\'m weak - continuation + flush draw goes awry

Villain was on the loose side. When he just calls the flop I can't put him on a K, I rule out KK and a 3 because of the action preflop. His min raise on the turn is funny. Should I not bet continuation on the turn here? I suppose he's loose enough that K9 is possible. When he raises the turn I think I have to call with the flush draw and probably an ace being good.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed)
UTG+1 ($129.33)
MP1 ($69.92)
Hero ($105.20)
CO ($77.60)
Button ($132.40)
SB ($61.85)
BB ($117.65)
UTG ($110.35)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, CO calls $3, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.50, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($12) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, CO calls $8, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($28) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $18</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $36</font>, Hero calls $18.

River: ($100) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $30</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $130
Old 12-30-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: I\'m weak - continuation + flush draw goes awry

Flop, I don't like the continuation bet against a K on board with nothing in multiway pot. Try to keep the pot smaller unless you have something in multiway pots.

Turn, I'm trying to see the river as cheap as possible with just one card to come, not to put in $36 drawing to a flush on a paired board with one to come.

River, clear check fold, although you shouldn't be there in a pot this big.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:37 PM

I check that turn. Otherwise, I lead for 24.

BACKDOOR FLUSHES HIT ONCE EVERY 24.5 TIMES.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:39 PM

Don't CB the turn! Checking also disguises your hand.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:24 PM

I can see AK cold calling pre and sp'ing that flop till turn an even going for a value bet on river.

I can see a pocket pair disbelieving you and testing you on the turn but his river bet last seems to eliminate this(except for 99 and 33).

Is there any chance he can play KQ this tough? If so maybe he should move up some limits.

Sometimes you should fire a second barrel, sometimes not but you walked into a nut flush draw and that prompted you to do it-maybe it should've done the exact opposite(and check) like some have suggested, I don't know.

If your A outs are good then I guess you put him on pure bluff or jamming an under pair like TT or 66(or a strong K like KQs or KJs). If that is the case a 3bet semi bluff would knock him out here most of the time which is what you need oop if you miss the river as you wont bet and he can check behind to win.

Be sure to watch this villains button action in the future and make good notes on it-some will call w a very very wide range in that position.

Do you usually bet 2/3rds pot on turn first w tptk oop vs 1? If not, and if he's the type to notice, then the likelyhood you can jam him off goes way up imo.

3betting the turn is a disaster vs KQ and KJ of diamonds as he wont fold lest it's a push imo.

His river bet looks like a monster or an AK to me.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:03 PM

CB'ing with 3 villians in the hand with you is -EV. So don't do it. (Are you always PFR'ing to $3 at PP NL100? I find I get way too much action with a $3 PFR. My standard is $4, and sometimes I do $3.50)

As played, I might bet the turn as well. It would be villian dependent and dependent on my image at the table. I wouldn't bet $18 though. I don't want to check to him and let him set the price for the turn. I'd maybe try to get away with a $12 turn bet and see what happens. If he minraised that, I'd call and hope.