Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: PC-ness has replaced logic & reasoning.

[ QUOTE ]
12. Those who are most sensitive about "politically incorrect" terminology are not the average black ghetto-dweller, Asian immigrant, abused woman or disabled person, but a minority of activists, many of whom do not even belong to any "oppressed" group but come from privileged strata of society. Political correctness has its stronghold among university professors, who have secure employment with comfortable salaries, and the majority of whom are heterosexual, white males from middle-class families.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cleaned the windows (that is my business) at a liquor store today and had a 3 hour conversation with the black manager about this specific conversation. Obviously I don’t have the time to type 3 hours worth of conversation but it started like this...

Me: “Do you think black people are generally more athletically gifted?”
Him: “Yes”
Me “Why?”
Him: “Well, just look at the results, etc...”
Me: “No, I mean why are they more athletic”
Him: “I don’t know. Why do you ask?”
Me: “Because I was called a racist today for thinking that it might be because you’re decedents of Africans, and there is no harsher environment in the world to survive in.”
Him: “That’s not racist. It’s probably true. Hell, you guys were riding horses & [censored] while we were hunting on foot.”

I later told him about the specific “jungle” comment that my mother had said. He laughed his ass off and said she would probably have a problem on her hands if she said that in a room full of black people. He didn’t think it was “racist” because she had basically said the same thing that I had said (and he had agreed with). She just worded it more poorly.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:11 PM

You parrot the PC party line like a pro. You must be the victim of a US college education.

I'm aware that there exists many friendly pit bulls but I still do not turn my back to them hoping the one in front of me is in that group. I use dog breed to discriminate absent any other information regarding the individual. I do the same in poker, giving more respect to the 65 YO than the 20 YO. When I meet an unknown black man for the first time I can safely assume he's 50 +/- times less likely to have won the Nobel prize in physics than a random white man. I can also assume he's 5-10 times more likely to have commited a violent felony, 3-4 times more likely to have been raised w/o a father in the home etc. I'm not concerned with the 'why' of it, only the trend of the population data set.

This is simply using the available data to make a guess at probabilities. I think that makes me a racist. I self-apply the term to take away the club so quickly wielded by the PC police.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:25 PM

This is specific to the US and native born Blacks.

We will never even begin to solve the problem of Black criminality and irresponsible parenting until we admit that Whites and Blacks are different. Genetic? Cultural? I don't know and it doesn't matter, but there is undisputable data that screams out that Blacks and Whites respond differently to important life choices. Using the same solutions for both groups gets you divergent results, full prisons, sh+tty HS graduation rates and yet another generation of disfunctional citizens.

Racist? You betcha.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What socially poisonous problems will be solved? The problems that right-wingers complain about (affirmative action, etc) come about BECAUSE race is entered as a factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this statement. IMO, the problems come about from HOW race is brought into the equation, and not THAT it is brought into the equation -- big difference.

Yes it's true that frivolous violence is worse than having a frivolous taboo, but that doesn't change the fact that the optimal solution is to have neither.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:15 PM

So what's your solution?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:41 PM

Ok, so it wasn't a joke. Weird. I still don't find it funny. Again, I don't find it at all funny.

It may not be racist, but it is a stereotypical inaccurate comment, which might make it funny in and of itself, but I don't see it.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:22 PM

As I see it, the root problem is the very many disfunctional Black families. Fix that and much overall improvement will follow. It took 40 years for 'The Great Society' programs to get us here. Those programs have drastically changed incentives and behaviors, a few for the better, many for the worse, both for Black and White.

Nothing I say as far as a specific change has any chance of being proposed, much less seriously considered. But the one underlying idea is to change the incentives that lead to fatherless households and then check your results in 40 more years.

I've heard Economics described as 'the dismal science' but this is much more depressing.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, there can be no connection between black athletic prowess and "living in the jungle" since there is very little jungle in Africa, Africa is mostly Savannah (grasslands) and desert.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what are you saying? that it's because they spent so much time running from lions in the grasslands?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:07 PM

Athletic ability in the 21st century? Overrated, seeing as there is little need to run down you prey or escape from predators. It is much better to be endowed with intellect in these modern times. Just take a look at the wealthiest and most powerful people in the world; you don't see any football or basketball players in that list do you? And if you want to talk about intellect and race, well, that should be and easy argument. Look at your great minds of antiquity, Einstein, Newton, Franklin, Kepler, Galileo, Archimedes, etc. Where was the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution? Which is the least developed continent on Earth? What continent lacks a single industrialized nation? What continent has the most industrialized nations? What is the least educated continent on Earth? What continent has the lowest life expectancy rate? In Forbes 500, Oprah Winfrey is the only black person listed and she is near the bottom of the 500 person list. There is no industrialized nation in the world with a black majority population. Even in the U.S. the gap between black graduation rates in high school and in college is significantly lower than that of their white counterparts. Pretty obvious to me.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 PM

Default i.e., .....

....usually the strongest survived the journey