Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Gosh... AQ against a donk. Party 30+3 w/ 250 entrants

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not reraising preflop with these stacks is fairly criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with AA/KK/QQ?

I like calling for decepticon value.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had AA/KK/QQ you could make this play. However, a donk will not be able to think beyond the fact that you DIDN'T reraise, so you can't have those hands.

You shouldn't be "trapping" with AQ.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:15 PM

I will call with lots of hands from the BB. A10s, 67s, 108s, J10s and sometimes AA/KK. I'm pretty much always reraising QQ/JJ/AK/AQ and often but not always reraising with AA/KK especially if they are loose donks. I meant specifically not reraising with AQ here with these stack sizes is fairly criminal.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate messing with donks, because they tend to be calling stations. The only hand you are beating on the flop is K high, in my opinion, with maybe an AJ, A9 if she has liberal raising standards. I would give up once the donk raised you on the flop. She's serious about something, which probably isn't a whole lot, but it has to beat AQ. Odds of you getting her off of it are very slim after she raised preflop and then tossed in a re-raise on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is quite true. Firstly, her raise PF was SCREAMING "let me raise in LP to try to steal", so I really put her on any two. On teh flop I'm ahead of basically any two broadway cards except AK or a pair. Villian could also have any pair 99 or below and think I have a T. I thought there was a lot of value to leading out and hopefully scaring her out of her attempt to steal PF thinking to herself "oops, I got caught stealing, darn".
Old 12-27-2005, 02:19 PM

I think it's a fairly mandatory reraise preflop. With her stack and position, getting all in preflop here is the way to go. Whether you reraise to 1500ish or just shove, I don't think it really matters.

Postflop, since you were determined to get all in on that board, I think checkraising the flop all in is the best way to go.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you lead out at the flop?

Seems like an odd move to me, you didn't reraise pf, and you wouldn't lead out with a T (of course you might, but I'm saying from the villain's perspective in this hand). From his POV, I think it looks like you have nothing or mid-pockets.

If you want to make a move on the flop, I think a CR would have been a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I led out for info basically. A c/r would probably have to be all in from me, and would probably just commit her to calling right? Insert citation of that thread from a few months back about the call flop lead turn line b/c c/ring just committs people so it's bad to bluff with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the thread you're talking about is an alternative to checkraising (with a good hand.) Because, in his example, checkraising wouldnt commit the villain, but calling and leading the turn, disguises your hand, and may force him to pay you off.

In this spot, you don't want to be called, and the villain is very likely to be raising your lead. Checkraising the flop maximizes you FE in this hand.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:25 PM

here's what you're looking for. Enjoy.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:32 PM

DaveD,

Hmm..cant say that I like your line.

Assuming Donk will raise the button with less than premiums, I think you have an easy re-raise pf.

Then, you try to run a semi-bluff against a known calling station on a raggety flop?

Not sure what I think of the turn push.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here's what you're looking for. Enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and I just bookmarked it.

I guess I got confused about the original thread, and was actually referancing when Lethalrose says "I think what jason is refering to is players who will checkraise a small stacked opponent, not taking into account they are pot commited. And doing this with air. Very bad.. "

I think this is a very valid point, and I want to avoid doing that.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DaveD,

Hmm..cant say that I like your line.

Assuming Donk will raise the button with less than premiums, I think you have an easy re-raise pf.

Then, you try to run a semi-bluff against a known calling station on a raggety flop?

Not sure what I think of the turn push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, at the time I wasn't sure that the donk actually was a CS per se, just that she was bad b/c she'd called me down with a pretty bad hand earlier. It was only one hand too.

Anyway, the result was that she called, and she held A6 for the turned boat. Annoying, but I survived.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:37 PM

You're right, You were the donk on this hand. Why no reraise preflop?