Old 12-27-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Short-term-results-oriented thinking

If anyone is interested, Here is a link to the actual text: Patriot Act
Old 12-27-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how all the government bureaucracies are enriching themselves with this bill in ways that do nothing to protect us:

"SEC. 1007. AUTHORIZATION OF FUNDS FOR DEA POLICE TRAINING IN SOUTH AND CENTRAL ASIA.
In addition to amounts otherwise available to carry out section 481 of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 (22 U.S.C. 2291), there is authorized to be appropriated to the President not less than $5,000,000 for fiscal year 2002 for regional antidrug training in the Republic of Turkey by the Drug Enforcement Administration for police, as well as increased precursor chemical control efforts in the South and Central Asia region."
Old 12-27-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how all the government bureaucracies are enriching themselves with this bill in ways that do nothing to protect us:

"SEC. 1007. AUTHORIZATION OF FUNDS FOR DEA POLICE TRAINING IN SOUTH AND CENTRAL ASIA.
In addition to amounts otherwise available to carry out section 481 of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 (22 U.S.C. 2291), there is authorized to be appropriated to the President not less than $5,000,000 for fiscal year 2002 for regional antidrug training in the Republic of Turkey by the Drug Enforcement Administration for police, as well as increased precursor chemical control efforts in the South and Central Asia region."

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that a large portion of terrorism is subsidized with proceeds from drug sales?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:34 PM

Aside from what Vulture said, you do realize that a bureaucracy by its very nature will use any opportunity to enrich itself, don't you? This will be true regardless of who is in charge or the impetus. Pointing this out as an indictment of the act itself carries about as much weight with me as saying "Look, the sky is blue."
Old 12-27-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that a large portion of terrorism is subsidized with proceeds from drug sales?

[/ QUOTE ]
Where are the provisions to control oil money, which was the actual source for the 9-11 attackers.

The Tailiban eradicated the Afgani drug supply much more effectively than any US attempt.

Plus, we supported the "Northern Alliance", a band of opium growers.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:29 PM

The point was that a legitimate case could be made as to why funding drug enforcement measures is linked to anti-terrorism.

[ QUOTE ]
Where are the provisions to control oil money, which was the actual source for the 9-11 attackers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know, ask your Congressman. See above as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, we supported the "Northern Alliance", a band of opium growers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Northern Alliance support was crucial to being successful in the tribal driven Afghani society. Kill the alligator closest to the boat first, you dig?

So Im curious, what provisions of the Patriot Act do you find unconstitutional and why? Im giving you a chance to break away from the talking points and do some actual thought. Dont let me down.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:45 PM

Im not your monkey.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not your monkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt want a monkey whose only trick is spewing liberal talking points. A monkey who [censored] in his hand is light years ahead of that.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So Im curious, what provisions of the Patriot Act do you find unconstitutional and why? Im giving you a chance to break away from the talking points and do some actual thought. Dont let me down.

[/ QUOTE ] Im not your monkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it's a valid and important question: which specific parts of the Patriot Act are unconstitutional, and why?

Analysis of this question is something Congress too should be attempting, instead of playing so much partisan politics.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Time and again I have asked people on here to specify which provisions of the Patriot Act they find to be unconstitutional and why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something doesn't have to be unconstitutional to be bad policy. Something doesn't have to technically violate the constitution to be violative of the principles behind the constitution.