Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 06:16 AM

Default 2 Hands = No Clue

Been dabbling in the Party 15/30 game when a table looks good. I still struggle with the best line for these hands.

Hand 1
MP3 had open raised the previous hand with A-3s. No read on the button.

I post in the CO and am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Folded to MP3 who raises, I 3-bet, button caps, blinds fold, MP3 and I call.

Flop [A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]. MP3 bets.

Hand 2
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the CO. UTG raises, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, I call, both blinds call. 6 to the flop for 6 BB's.

Flop [K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]. Blinds check, UTG checks, MP1 bets, MP2 calls. Raise or call?

I just called, SB folded, BB called, UTG called. 5 to the turn for 8.5 BB.

Turn [K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving me 2 pair. BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 bets, MP2 raises. Action?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: 2 Hands = No Clue

raise hand 1. MP3 could have ace anything, and the buttong capping could easily have KK, QQ, 1010 or even another AQ.

hand 2

Since you are just stepping up and learning I would fold this preflop. Alot of value from the call here comes from outplaying your opponents postflop, you dont have good enough feel yet.
So you should fold preflop, raise the flop, Fold the turn.

Edit: Had pot odds messed up.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:47 AM

Hand 1:

FLOP: Any reads on the button or MP3? You could be ahead against MP3 but the button might have a big pair preflop. I don't know what to do with flop either since there are several draws to beat you if your not beaten yet. The only hands I can see button having by capping preflop is AA-99, AK/AKs. Since MP3 is semi-loose, he's likely to have the flush or straight draw, or Ax rag. I'm probably going to raise the flop in hopes that CO folds a better holding. If he cold-calls I am convinced that I am beat, probably check/folding the turn. THOUGHTS?

Hand 2:

FLOP: Since you were the last to act I'll raise in this position. Your raising here because if your position and because you already made a mid pair and you have two backdoor flush and straight draw.

TURN: Its real close, your getting enough odds to chase the 4 solid outs for your full house but you won't know if a reraise will happen from the players who checked. If you think that a reraise will not happen because the players who checked is passive then the call is OK. I just hate cold-calling here because the T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] came and that makes straight and flush draws on the board.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you are just stepping up and learning I would fold this preflop. Alot of value from the call here comes from outplaying your opponents postflop, you dont have good enough feel yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heed this advice. Having to ask the questions about raising the flop and the action on the turn, this is a hand that you're probably better off mucking and analyzing how you WOULD have played it. This hand picks up more than it's fair share in lots of situations, but you definitely need the post-flop lines to be your best.

As for these hands...
Play hand 1 fast.
Raise hand two on the flop, fold the turn.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:48 AM

1 raise; can there be a better flop?

2 fold; probably beaten at the moment; you need a J or T if not already against a set or better two pair and beaten if the river brings it. odds against you about 11:1 and pot odds don't justify a call.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:53 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Als antwoord op:</font><hr />
THOUGHTS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please come and sit at my table ;-)
Old 06-03-2005, 08:26 PM

I think I made a small error on Hand 1. I think instead of folding the TURN if button cold-calls, the better play would be to fire out again. Preflop, he could have a big pair even AK. If he doesn't show any aggression postflop I'll consider my hand to be good and play it standard.

Any comments what to do if button 3-bets the flop after you c/raised MP3? I'm considering a fold here, my Q could set someone up for a redraw. I don't have much outs either since the flush draw is on the board.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:18 PM

Festus...

Have read the "advice" given by various respondents here and will not directly make criticisms thereupon.

IMHO, each of these hands is quite complicated. To say that these hands are basic and simplistic reflects a lack of depth in the analyst.

Hand 1 I think I favor a raise given the read that MP3 is PF aggro. Use his aggro to make button commit. Button, if he continues, has 2 spades, an A or a set. Button calling is dangerous, more dangerous than a 3 bet and a 3 bet might shake out MP3. Tough hand.

Hand 2 is a very easy PF call. I like the flop call... in this potentially enormous pot you have enough fire power to continue, I think. On the turn, my initial reaction is you are drawing to 3-3.5 outs, at best, and with the possibility of being stuck in a raising war I think a fold is the prudent course. Sometimes I'm weak tight.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:29 AM

1. Raise. You're probably ahead and it's a decent-sized pot. If you get reraised by the button, call down or stop-and-go. If you check a non-spade turn and he checks behind, check a non-spade river to try and snap off a bluff.
2. Fold. You're getting 5.25-to-1 on an 11-to-1 draw that isn't the nuts even if you hit it. This is a routine laydown in a protected pot.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:23 AM

I like calling on the flop for the first hand. I gotta go but I'll post my reasons later. Do you guys really think calling is that bad?