Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 06:26 PM

Default I don\'t have to bluff anymore.

$1/$2 NL at the Borgata, $300 max buyin
Hero has $450, Villain covers
Villain in MP makes it $17, I call with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Everyone else folds

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain bets $20, I make it $75, Villain thinks and calls.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain checks, Hero bets $120, Villain asks me "Do you have the dummy end?", I wasn't really listening so I said "What?", Villain pushes. Hero?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: I don\'t have to bluff anymore.

AcJc, AxJx, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT if he's not maniac

there's ~300 in pot, effective ~240 to call. I call
Old 12-24-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$1/$2 NL at the Borgata, $300 max buyin
Hero has $450, Villain covers
Villain in MP makes it $17, I call with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Everyone else folds

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain bets $20, I make it $75, Villain thinks and calls.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain checks, Hero bets $120, Villain asks me "Do you have the dummy end?", I wasn't really listening so I said "What?", Villain pushes. Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain calls the flop raise and then CHECKRAISES all-in on that turn???

If Villain has AA-QQ, you likely would have been reraised on the flop. If he has JJ/TT, he'd checkraise you on the turn.

I can't see him having 89 here.

So, he's either overplaying his AA-QQ (not likely) or he has a set. If you think he's capable of massively overplaying TPTK by CHECKRAISING the turn, sure, call.

But against the vast majority of opponents, I fold this turn. Set shmet. Maybe he has JT. Or 55. I doubt it.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:58 AM

Call. It's a 1/2 live game. Expect to see something dumb like AK or J4 a decent amount of the time.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:14 AM

I'm insta calling against most live 1/2 players.

If he has the set of Ts or Js, you're gonna have to live with it. You're ahead here a big enough % of the time to make the call profitable.

What did he show you after you called?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:56 PM

As soon as I called I asked him if he had jacks, and he promptly turned them over. I was thinking about it afterwards, after my response to his dummy straight question, he was pretty sure his jacks were good, and I think I should've been able to fold.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I think I should've been able to fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:51 PM

I think you should have insta called
Old 12-24-2005, 03:52 PM

With half my stack already in the pot, I'm never folding the 777 unless he turns his JJJ face up.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:12 PM

I would have folded to the continuation bet on the flop. Once you tried to snap off his continuation bet and catch a set on the turn, I think your stuck going to the felt with your set. You obviously suspected he had AK or AQ or even TT or 99 when you made the raise over his cb. Once he calls the flop raise, he is either stubbornly hanging on to upaired over cards or he has a big pair or he has a draw like KQ. Your big bet on the turn followed by a check-raise all in from villain probably eliminates two over cards, unless they are both clubs (like Kc Qc), but otherwise I think you're looking at Ac Jc, AA, KK, QQ or JJ. So, since you are only behind JJ, I think you have to call unless you've seen him make strong continuatino bets on flops in the past after raising preflop. If he habitually makes pot-sized continuation bets, but all of a sudden makes a weak cb here, you might suspect something fishy is going on and fear a set jacks. But even so, how can you check behind on that turn with a set? I think you have to bet, and then call the check-raise. It's just bad luck if he has the jacks.

In general, however, without a strong read that villain is raising with junk a lot, then I think "No set, no bet" is a milk toast line that would have been good here, I think.