Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-21-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Heavy action on river - fold? 3/6 LO8

6-max, 5-handed table has been on the aggressive side

Party 3-6

4 limps to me, I check 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB

Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet, all call

Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks. I bet, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB checkraises, I call, all else calls

River J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Sb bets, I call, UTG calls, CO now pops it up out of nowhere, Button folds, SB 3-bets, I call, UTG folds, CO caps, SB and I call

The only hand that beats me is T9, it seems like they'd have to have a nut flush draw or nut low like A2T9. Pot is pretty decent at this point, can I fold this losing only to runner-runner? Also on the turn, is my call ok of the c/r ok because of people behind me and two flush draws being out there (likely someone drawing better than me)? I think it was. Does anyone check/call or even check/fold turn here "because you're only drawing to 1/2 the pot"? Seems weak-tight to me I guess.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Heavy action on river - fold? 3/6 LO8

[ QUOTE ]
SB checks. I bet, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB checkraises, I call, all else calls

River J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Sb bets, I call, UTG calls, CO now pops it up out of nowhere, Button folds, SB 3-bets, I call, UTG folds, CO caps, SB and I call

[/ QUOTE ]

Burdz - What a nightmare! You've found the Omaha-8 table from Hell!

Buzz
Old 12-22-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone check/call or even check/fold turn here "because you're only drawing to 1/2 the pot"?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not drawing at 1/2 the pot, on the turn you already have it in the bag.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:33 AM

Although you made a straight, you are drawing on the turn for a safe card that leaves you with the nut high.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:41 AM

There are not many river cards that leave you with the nut high. By my count only the red As, 2s, Qs and Ks. So that is eight outs. Of course you may win the high half without the nuts.

It is because of these situations, where you have no real low and it is unusual for your hand to be the nut high on the river, that it is recommended not to play middle cards.

I would call the check raise on the turn. On the river I would probably lay it down when it gets back to me raised and re-raised.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:48 PM

I was in the BB [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], folding for free is bad
Old 12-22-2005, 07:49 PM

Bet flop. Bet turn. Call river and fold to the 3-bet.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:51 PM

What about trying for a check-raise on the turn?If it gets checked out & a safe river card comes,you will wish you had bet.But,how likely is it that both of these events will happen?Since SB has already checked,it could check out.But a lot of the time,an ugly river card comes to make you glad that you got the free card.On the other hand,if it gets bet & SB check-raises again,you will have the choice of folding or making the risky but perhaps correct check-3-bet.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:51 PM

You got stuck in bad situation here. You flop the nuts but stand very weak to finish that way. You are indefensable against the A2 with backup. Only two make your nut flush draw, and any pair is a scary card for you. This hand has be played as a check/call the whole way, and ready to muck at most 2-bet situations.

JMO - Knoll