Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-18-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Eli Manning

I'm curious to see what people's overall opinions are of Eli Manning and what sort of career he might end up having in the NFL. He's getting killed left and right these days for being inaccurate, and those criticisms are certainly reasonable if you have watched him play recently. Is this inaccuracy a defficiency that he can overcome, or his he going to be a mediocre QB for his entire career? What about his uncanny ability to play his best when the game is on the line and run a successful 2 minute drill over and over?

If you had to liken his career to another past QB, whose would you liken it to and why?

Someone I know (not a good friend but an acquaintance) made a comment that the Giants would be in the same shape this year with Gus Frerotte instead of Eli and that they're winning in spite of him, not because of him. Is this fair?
Old 12-18-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Eli Manning

Eli's stats aren't as good as his brother's stats from his 2nd year, but they aren't that far off either.

I personally don't think he will be as good as his brother, but he'll definitely be more than a mediocre QB,
Old 12-18-2005, 12:47 PM

I think people are expecting more than they should. This is his 2nd year in the league and 1st full year starting. He is extremely accurate down the field when he has time to throw. Some of the blame should go to the WR's because I have seen dropped passes that were right on the money. But he does have the ability to bring his team down the field after the 2 min. warning. He did twice against Dallas (Jacobs fumbled), against Denver, Minnesota, and Seattle. Those are pretty good defenses. He also does it at the end of the first half. I think a lot has to do with him being in a shotgun; and defenses are in a dime defense which gives him time to throw with less physical pressure.
Let me put this way, I haven't been this excited about a Giants QB since Phil Simms.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:56 PM

I don't really care for either Manning, but I can give Peyton the respect he deserves. A couple months ago, there was a thread Eli vs Ben, and most people were sucking off Eli. I got heat for saying I didn't see anything from Eli, but had only seen him play a small amount. I was told to watch games and I'd see just how special he is.

Well, I have watched a couple games, and I stand by when I said he's nothing special. Does he have potential? Sure, anyone has potential, but right now he is nothing special.

As I say this I'm praying for a good game from him so they'll knock KC off and help my Steelers out.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:57 PM

Eli will not be in any way a mediocre QB.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I say this I'm praying for a good game from him so they'll knock KC off and help my Steelers out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...the Giants played KC last night and beat them.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:14 PM

As of yet, he's not a championship caliber quarterback. He does throw inaccurately, and he throws badly: his balls don't have a tight spiral, they flutter. Burris, Shockey, Toomer and Barber give him the most talented weapons in the league and some days the Giants look awesome, but never at the quarterback position.

I would says he's a C+ right now. He's had very few A or even B+ days. One would think he's going to get better.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...the Giants played KC last night and beat them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much alcohol flowing thru me to notice that... SWEET!
Old 12-18-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really care for either Manning, but I can give Peyton the respect he deserves. A couple months ago, there was a thread Eli vs Ben, and most people were sucking off Eli. I got heat for saying I didn't see anything from Eli, but had only seen him play a small amount. I was told to watch games and I'd see just how special he is.

Well, I have watched a couple games, and I stand by when I said he's nothing special. Does he have potential? Sure, anyone has potential, but right now he is nothing special.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you're unaware that they have already played and beaten KC yesterday, before I wrote this post. The Giants won the game.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:09 PM

I hate Eli Manning. He had a poor game yesterday and I started him over Matt Hasselbeck who tore it up today.

I'm a Redskins fan and every week I wish that the Skins had found a way to pick him. He's going to be awesome.