Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-16-2005, 05:40 AM

Default LO8 .5/1 Pokerstars hand

hey

im wondering about my play on all streets, especially the river. i have some random thoughts on the hand, but not sure if i played this right. i usually play holdem and have a bit of microlimit experience in LO8.

Reads: button is loose pre, and he does a lot of betting postflop (ie hes not like the general passive types you'd see at these levels). some of these bets are bad semibluffs, even when they are into like 3-4 players.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Omaha/8 (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (4.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 12-16-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: LO8 .5/1 Pokerstars hand

I would bet that flop, but if that doesn't win it for me, I'll slow down. I wouldn't bet the river, but I might call a bet from Button.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:50 PM

:grunch (hey, I'm a former limit player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]):

With the A34 in your hand, your hand is marginal for the low and will often only be good for the low when there's a 2 on the board. You don't have any scoop potential, so I don't agree with the preflop raise.

On the flop, I'd probably fold. I have no way to scoop here, and I could be drawing dead to A2. Check/fold river with only top pair and the 3rd nuts for low.

Please flame if need be. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 12:51 PM

Is betting with the second nut low draw and no draw for high a decent play here? I'm wondering if this is one of my leaks, but I don't think my edge here is big enough to really push.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:37 PM

In a 6-max game, I don't have a problem with the pfr. Your low might be good, and maybe you get better hearts to fold.

Either you bet the flop or you fold to the bet. You are playing for half. Either bet and give everyone else a chance to fold, maybe setting yourself up for the possibility that a check on the turn might let you see the river for free, or get out when the other player bets. The pot is not big enough for you to chase for 1/2.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
:grunch (hey, I'm a former limit player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]):

With the A34 in your hand, your hand is marginal for the low and will often only be good for the low when there's a 2 on the board. You don't have any scoop potential, so I don't agree with the preflop raise.

On the flop, I'd probably fold. I have no way to scoop here, and I could be drawing dead to A2. Check/fold river with only top pair and the 3rd nuts for low.

Please flame if need be. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would play it this way too. But I have only been playing OH8 for a couple of weeks and mainly only at full tables (10) on pokerroom.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:53 PM

I have a decent amount of experience at $1/$2 6-max LO8, so maybe I can offer some insight.

I'm not sure about the PFR. If the table is generally tight, I would raise to try to possibly knock out other A3s, A4s, and higher hearts. However, most of the time you have a couple of LPs at your table that are willing to come along with any semblance of a decent hand, so I would lean toward just limping and seeing what happens on the flop. Like others have said, you have limited scoop potential and your hand is very flop-dependent.

I would either bet the flop and isee f anyone feels like dropping out here (likely not many since there is a low + flush draw) and then go from there or just check/fold, leaning more towards check/fold. You don't have much going for you. No real chance for high and just the second nut low with not many people drawing with you. The pot's too small--just look for a better spot.

The river's an ugly spot. I doubt you'll get much value from a bet, and you probably won't push anyone out at this level. If you just feel like going to showdown, check/call. It could be ugly, though.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:35 PM

Preflop: Borderline raise preflop in a full game, but anyone who suggests that a raise here (6-max) is a bad move is flat out wrong. I raise this 90% of the time, and call the other 10%.

Flop: Either lead out or fold. Check/call is not an option IMO. Since I was the aggressor preflop, I will lead this 75% of the time and check/fold the other 25%.

Turn: Fine.

River: Check/call.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:12 PM

thanks for the comments everyone.

I guess the preflop raise is iffy, but since some pople seem to be borderline, i guess having "something extra" would make it an easy pf raise? like if i had a suited ace or a replacing the T with a 5? Also at the time i didnt think about cleaning up my heart draw, so i will keep that in mind.

Flop i didnt expect to win by betting b/c the button was loose and could peel with lots of stuff on this board (any low draw, straight draw (even gutters), flush draw, any pair). Seems like a bad board if im trying to get people to fold, especially vs the kind of player that button is. and everyone seems to say check-calling is bad so i guess i really messed up here. what would you guys do with A2 or A23 in the same situation? does having the nut draw swing it to a call even if i have no high prospects?

And river i dont know what i was doing. I remember thinking at the time something like "i have a decent high and the third nut low, the button's really loose so its unlikely he has me beat both ways" I guess that's what made me bet. But really if button does have some sort of high hand only: he wont payoff with an 8 or 7, he probably doesnt have a Q or K since he checked the turn. So he could probably pay off with a worse ace, but there aren't that many worse aces in the first place. If I were to scoop vs him, he'd have to pay off with a worse low and no high. But all this is without considering the third player in the pot, and him being in there probably hurts my chances. I think check-call is better, but i dont like the idea of overcalling if button bets and the other player calls.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the preflop raise is iffy, but since some pople seem to be borderline, i guess having "something extra" would make it an easy pf raise? like if i had a suited ace or a replacing the T with a 5?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said before, I didn't see anything horribly wrong with the PFR raise in the first place. I think it is very dependent on your reads and the table image you have projected. That being said, being suited to the ace or an extra wheel card would definitely push me to raise a higher percentage of the time. With a hand like this, arguments can be made either way.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop i didnt expect to win by betting b/c the button was loose and could peel with lots of stuff on this board (any low draw, straight draw (even gutters), flush draw, any pair). Seems like a bad board if im trying to get people to fold, especially vs the kind of player that button is. and everyone seems to say check-calling is bad so i guess i really messed up here. what would you guys do with A2 or A23 in the same situation? does having the nut draw swing it to a call even if i have no high prospects?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're looking at a draw-heavy board with a hand that isn't drawing to anything too pretty. Betting is better than check/calling along here, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily +EV; it might just lose you less money in the long run. However, besides fold equity with a bet, it could (but maybe not likely in this situation)yield some information as to whether there are some powerful hands out there--nut low draw + nut high draw and so forth, but they usually want lots of people drawing along.

Holding something like A23, I'm inclined to play it passively to encourage second-best low draws to continue and just see how the board develops given you have very little high prospects after the flop. Of course, we would be looking for deuces, and more preferably aces, to give us a solid chance of getting half or possibly scooping.