Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 09:41 PM

Default 20k break-even, time for a checkup

I'm posting this in hopes you guys can find something that's right in front of my eyes that I might be missing. Although rakeback is still better than losing I'd like to win a bit more for all the time I put it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Re: 20k break-even, time for a checkup

i dont think you are defending your blinds enough. besides posting hands, replying to posts, reading SSH and other books, I would spend some time at the 1/2 6max. when you go back to full ring you will find some new spots to exploit and be better prepared to handle blind steal/defense situations. plus 6max is fun.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:53 PM

Looks like your just running a tad cold based on your Won$@SD and W$WSF. 20K hands isn't near enough to level out the variance. You should also defend your big blind a little more, somewhere in the neighborhood of 65%.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:54 PM

I played around 10K hands at 6-max (after around 22k hands out of this sample) so only my last 8k hands reflect that experience, perhaps not enough to affect the general stats.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:01 PM

If almost 30% of your hands in this sample are at 6-max, you're probably playing too tight in a full ring (by your VPIP). Many people think 15.5% VPIP is too tight even for a full ring.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played around 10K hands at 6-max (after around 22k hands out of this sample) so only my last 8k hands reflect that experience, perhaps not enough to affect the general stats.

[/ QUOTE ]
participate in SSSH?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 PM

No those are all full ring 2/4
Old 12-15-2005, 10:15 PM

Ok, I misunderstood your post about 6-max. I think you can definitely get away with playing some slightly more marginal hands at 2/4 though. I think some more experience learning to play the marginal hands well at 6-max will help you loosen up a bit preflop in a full ring.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:14 AM

It seems like you are just running bad. Just post a bunch of hands from that sample, and see if we can find any leaks.

blake
Old 12-16-2005, 01:28 PM

You're playing too tightly. Even just playing an autopilot ABC multitabler's game should net you a VPIP in the 16-17 range, but playing a solid game which includes using your position, stealing blinds, and isolating on weak opponents will push it closer to 19-20. This is the kind of game that you should be aiming for (and I'm sure the 6max experience helped in that regard, but if that has impacted your last 8k hands, that just reinforces how far you have to go).

Blind stealing & blind defenses. It's not a crucial skill to have at the 2/4 level, as evidenced by the fact that you're ekeing out a slight positive WR, but it will definitely help your game (and is crucial on higher limits and in 6max). Use your PT stats with a tool like PA Hud so you can recognize which of your opponents are more likely to openraise a marginal or even weak hand from LP, as well as which opponents are more likely to fold their blind to an LP raise. I honestly believe that with even decent blind steal/defense skills, that alone will improve your WR to well over 1 BB/100.

Your WtSD & WwSF are both a little low, but your W$SD is right around where it should be. This does indicate that you're running a little cold over this sample.

Considering how little you are attempting to steal the blinds, your PFR looks very healthy. But it should climb higher as you attempt more steals...somewhere in the 11-12 range, probably.

Your postflop aggression looks good, perhaps a touch overaggressive (but the by street pattern is good, showing that you are letting up your aggression well as you hit the big streets). I think part of your high aggression comes from making too many postflop folds, especially on the river--it's a very common problem, just learn to recognize when it's okay to peel a street or two with UI overcards or a gutshot draw or something, and when it's okay to call a river bet with less than top pair.

Honestly, with the exception of the low VPIP & blind steal situations, your game looks pretty strong based on these stats. A few minor tweaks to make postflop (as there always are), but overall good. Improve on those steals, and as the cards get a bit hotter for you that WR will go up nicely.