Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Losing money when in blinds

According to my stats I am losing way too much money when in blinds. Of course; I play hands that belongs to the muck if it wasn't for the forced bet, but... I figure there is more to it.
I recently begun analyzing my statistics, and this lookes like one leak that needs attantion.

So, to my question. What is the most common mistake playing in the blinds? Folding to easy when faced a raise, or defending the blind against possible steal attempts?

Any comments welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Losing money when in blinds

How much is too much? You will lose money in both blinds: the key is to keep it to a minimum. As a result of the discounted price you get to enter, you do get to play a lot more hands even to a raise. But a lot of them are going to be tricky to play in a lot of postflop situations, especially against steals.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 AM

Pretty common i'm sure, my strategy is basically to play only hands I would play anyways. The exception to this is if i'm in the BB and can see the flop for free (of course), or if I'm getting 5/1 on my money with a good hand or 7/1 with just about any decent hole cards. I get my blinds stolen a lot, but when people stab at my BB and i'm holding AQ i usually sieze a decently sized pot. I'd be interesting to see, but i think in the long run i might actually be making money in my blinds. Of course this is at 1/2 limit, people are smarter at the higher limits.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but i think in the long run i might actually be making money in my blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, I would be genuinely impressed

(assuming you could prove it but would lay 10-1 you couldn't)
Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 AM

Agreed No one makes money with there blinds. Once its in the blind its gone, not yours, goodbye
Old 12-16-2005, 01:20 AM

Sorry to post this in here, but i play on partypoker, is there a good program i could get to keep track of my stats?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but i think in the long run i might actually be making money in my blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, I would be genuinely impressed

(assuming you could prove it but would lay 10-1 you couldn't)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd lay a lot more than that considering that anyone who could make money from the blinds should be able to open-limp every unraised pot and still be a winning player.

@the question about poker stats: www.pokertracker.com
Old 12-16-2005, 09:55 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I have a too hard time folding BB to what I believe is a steal-attempt. And as I think every OTB-raise is a shot for my blind I'm ending up playing too much junkhands.

The pattern is cristal clear. Fold to the button who raise, SB folds and I call with BB to protect it from future steal-attempts. Flop comes, I check, button bet and I fold...

I know that the button will raise with just about any two cards if not raised before. Maybe a re-raise from BB would be more profitable...

I may try to fold some more crappy hands and see where it takes me. I will continue to lose money from the blinds - but maybe not as much as I do now.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:29 AM

Actually in no limit hold'em, you actually can make móney in the blind (or else I've just been lucky) ... first of all, since pots are often bigger than the blinds, when you hit something legit and second, if the board fall rag rag rag rainbow, you can bluff it, since nobody assumes, that BB was only holding high cards (sometimes be prepared to fire that second barrel as Bob C says)

This is from a 30.000 hands sample at the 25$NL ... so it is at the lowest of low limit.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually in no limit hold'em, you actually can make móney in the blind (or else I've just been lucky) ... first of all, since pots are often bigger than the blinds, when you hit something legit and second, if the board fall rag rag rag rainbow, you can bluff it, since nobody assumes, that BB was only holding high cards (sometimes be prepared to fire that second barrel as Bob C says)

This is from a 30.000 hands sample at the 25$NL ... so it is at the lowest of low limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's relatively easy to show that in no-ante games, the blinds, as a whole, are net loosing positions. However, it's entirely possible that the big blind is in a very good position to exploit the small blind. (My own blind play is lousy.)

I'd guess you're doing pretty well for yourself the rest of the time.