Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Are these river calls standard?

Assume all opponents are moderately aggressive.

PokerRoom 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

PokerRoom 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

PokerRoom 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 12-13-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Are these river calls standard?

I'm folding the Q9 hand on the turn. It looks like villain slowplayed a flopped straight or was waiting for the turn to come off low so he could raise with his top pair. I don't want to pay 2bb to find out what I already know: I am way way behind.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm folding the Q9 hand on the turn. It looks like villain slowplayed a flopped straight or was waiting for the turn to come off low so he could raise with his top pair. I don't want to pay 2bb to find out what I already know: I am way way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this wasn't a SB vs. BB battle, I'd agree with you. But when it's down to just the blinds I don't give a while lot of respect to turn raises on draw-heavy boards; I'm calling down.

I call down on the first two hands as well.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:35 AM

I fold the turn with the Q9 hand. Sure, every once in a while you will be folding the best hand here, but I think you are behind too often to call down profitably given the size of the pot.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:43 AM

I think first hand is a pretty standard call - you're getting 15.5-1 on your money, so you only have to be right a small percentage of the time to be profitable. The last two hands I'm not so sure about. The 2nd hand looks a lot like a made straight, two pair, or small set - against that range you may have 6 outs. I probably fold the river unimproved without more of a read than "moderately aggresive". The third hand is more read-dependent than anything else. If this player will defend with any two and will raise with overcards - then it's an easy call down. If they're more selective, well, I guess hope they hit a 7 or raised the turn with a flush draw or j-9, because this is hard not to call, even though a better two pair is very possible with this board
Old 12-13-2005, 01:53 AM

Yeah I've seen enough crazy [censored] in blind battles that its going to usually take a really ugly board (or super read) for me to lay down second pair.

Other two seem fine to me as well, but arguments could be made depending on the opponent probably.