Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-26-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Cross Country Flight -- Ear Damage?

During a cross country flight, my ears began to hurt from the changing pressure. This is typical for me when I fall asleep and cannot adjust during the descent. I also suffer a temporary loss of hearing that fades slowly as my ears readjust after the flight. When the second leg of this flight reached peak altitude, my ears settled, pain subsided and normal hearing resumed. I planned to stay awake for the descent and to try to directly handle the changing pressure. Instead, I woke up during the last 100 miles of the flight as we passed over Lake Tahoe and were well into the descent. Seven hours later, my ears have not adjusted and when I speak, I hear myself as if I am speaking through a tunnel or water.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Cross Country Flight -- Ear Damage?

[ QUOTE ]
During a cross country flight, my ears began to hurt from the changing pressure. This is typical for me when I fall asleep and cannot adjust during the descent. I also suffer a temporary loss of hearing that fades slowly as my ears readjust after the flight. When the second leg of this flight reached peak altitude, my ears settled, pain subsided and normal hearing resumed. I planned to stay awake for the descent and to try to directly handle the changing pressure. Instead, I woke up during the last 100 miles of the flight as we passed over Lake Tahoe and were well into the descent. Seven hours later, my ears have not adjusted and when I speak, I hear myself as if I am speaking through a tunnel or water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting...I've had that happen to me, but it seems like the one or two times I had that, it was because the plane descended too fast. After arrival, it lasted a few hours, then went away. Before freshman year of college, I had a job where I worked on the 40th floor of a building and took those fast elevators. I never had any problems with the changing pressure but one time, leaving work, I got a HUGE pain in both of my ears from riding the elevator down and couldn't do anything about it. It lasted about two days before it subsided...I have no idea what that was all about. All I did was ride an elevator. In any event, I know there are a few things you can do to help your ears return to normal faster. I can't recall everything but I think being in a warm, steamy environment helps (in other words, a long, hot shower). Maybe someone else can point you to something. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:25 PM

this happens to me when i am sick or have congestion in my nose and then fly. one time my ears were plugged up for days after i had landed. everything goes back to normal eventually
Old 11-26-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this happens to me when i am sick or have congestion in my nose and then fly. one time my ears were plugged up for days after i had landed. everything goes back to normal eventually

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, congested sinuses can worsen the problem. That would make sense as to why taking a hot shower helps...it loosens the sinuses up and thus reduces congestion.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:30 PM

You need to clean your ears. You've probably been duped like most of the world and think that Q-Tips clean your ears. They don't, they just pack the wax in there. The best way is to pour a capful of hydrogen peroxide into your ear and let it sit there for 10 mins or so... then go get in the shower and let hot water run in your ear.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to clean your ears. You've probably been duped like most of the world and think that Q-Tips clean your ears. They don't, they just pack the wax in there. The best way is to pour a capful of hydrogen peroxide into your ear and let it sit there for 10 mins or so... then go get in the shower and let hot water run in your ear.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't be the best way.

But yeah, Maulik should clean his ears out.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:46 PM

You most likely have a problem with your gestation tubes (spelling is probably wrong). I have a similar issue, and it can be very painful. The doctor advises me to overdose on Sudafed 1 hour before takeoff, and also blast some afrin in my nose while sitting on the runway. Ever since the problem has been solved.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You most likely have a problem with your gestation tubes (spelling is probably wrong).

[/ QUOTE ]

Eustachian. You were close.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:14 PM

I flew with a bad cold one time and blew out both of my eardrums. Some of the most intense pain I have ever had on that landing. Of course that was the first leg in a trip to visit family in Scottland and had three more landings to endure. I didn't really know what had happened but I couldn't hear very well as apparently your ear canals filled with blood drown out sound.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:24 PM

Jesus that's nasty. I've never heard of it being that bad before.

I had a ruptured eardrum once. Painful but not for long, but there was a lot of blood. I can only imagine what that must be like in a public place, going through customs and all.