Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-20-2005, 05:10 PM

Default 10/20 limit, quick turn issue HU

SB is loose, and of average aggression, but defintely not a huge idiot.
MP2 is playing nearly every hand, and raising fairly often. (i.e. holds an A2 ~never).

Party Poker 10/20 Omaha Hi/Lo (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls,<font color="#666666"> 3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero...

So I'm wondering what SB peeled with that calls a turn bet, other than a 7 or 3. Maybe an overpair. I think he'll raise any full house, which is annoying. He would have lead the flop with A2, and probably raised preflop.

I decided to check, planning to raise a low card and call a high card. I was concerned about 1) getting raised and feeling forced to call down, 2) folding a hopeless hand that might bet the river. In retrospect this feels a little weak - I'm not sure. What do you think?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: 10/20 limit, quick turn issue HU

Would he have raised with A2xx where xx are middling cards? At this point why not raise, but I play at much lower limits. If all he has is A2 he might fear being quartered for the low.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:35 PM

I think you bet and give him a chance to fold. He might have been willing to call a small bet on the flop with K-K-Q-J but not a big bet on the turn. Or if he's pulling for low, he might not be willing to throw down a big bet heads up for 1/2 the pot. The turn card couldn't possibly have helped him. The only way he seems to have you is if he's got a 7, but I am guessing he would have bet out if he hit and try to get you, who he might think has a low hand, to fold. I know I would bet there and not risk giving you a chance at a free card to make a low, if I had a high hand.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would he have raised with A2xx where xx are middling cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe - he's a bad player. But he's completing any 4 in this spot, and raising tons of A2 hands, so it's pretty negligible.

The second part is inducing a river bet from a weaker hand. It's not necessarily the correct play, but you need to understand the dynamics at play.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:42 PM

That's all sound poker theory and a good reason to bet, but maybe it simplifies the situation a little bit. That KKxx hand might call the flop, for sure. If I bet again, it might call but it probably folds. The loose player might even stick around with lots of weaker hands thinking I'm FOS - and he'll often bet these hands regardless of the river when I check. I don't want these overpair hands to fold the turn if they'll bet the river.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:51 PM

Why give him a free card to draw out on you? If he won't call for 1 bet on the turn what makes you think he will call on the river if he doesn't fill?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sy - I think the turn is an ugly card, but I think you have to bet it.

If you don't bet, I think you'll almost surely face a bet on the river, and then you'll have to call.

On the other hand, if you do bet, you may win the pot right here. And if you don't, you can check the river after your opponent checks.

If things go as planned, you'll invest the same amount, but with the chance of winning (by default) if you bet this turn. Your opponent is not likely to like this turn card either.

Of course, things may not go as planned.
You'd hate to face a check-raise after your turn bet, and you also don't want your opponent to suddenly come alive on the river.

So you do run a risk by betting this ugly turn card. Nonetheless, I'd bet it. By doing so, you give your opponent an opportunity to make a mistake rather than most likely having your opponent give you the opportunity to make a mistake on the next betting round.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 10-20-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's all sound poker theory and a good reason to bet, but maybe it simplifies the situation a little bit. That KKxx hand might call the flop, for sure. If I bet again, it might call but it probably folds. The loose player might even stick around with lots of weaker hands thinking I'm FOS - and he'll often bet these hands regardless of the river when I check. I don't want these overpair hands to fold the turn if they'll bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I had typed something in my response about why you don't want to check and give him the chance to hang around, but I deleted it because I thought the idea was obvious.

If you think you're definitely far enough ahead to check and bring him along ... good luck. I don't see how it's close as opposed to betting.