Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Folding a set in a big pot.

Party 1/2. BB is a good player, knows me and my play and normally plays higher, button is a maniac LAG who loves to bet/raise with little to nothing and takes pride in showing his bluffs when people fold. Button has ~$220, BB has ~$200, I have them both covered.

Folded to button, who raises to $6. I call with 88, BB reraises to $20, button calls, I call.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($60)

I check, BB bets $35, button calls, I make it $120 straight, BB pushes for $180, button folds, I fold (getting ~6.5:1 on my money).

Flame away
Old 07-06-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Folding a set in a big pot.

I think more times than not you're a ahead with your mid set here. The 6.5:1 should pay off the other times you MAY be behind. I don't fold a set here as he may have a flush draw or have put you on a flush draw.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:11 AM

I agree that AA seems to be the most likely scenario, but I'd have to pay off the last raise. The flush possibility and the minor possibility of 77 are enough for me.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 AM

you have to call this. How does he view you? AK is a possible holding, in addition to the others mentioned. combining that with the odds that you're getting makes this a pretty easy call.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 AM

I would guess that with a check-raise though two players, after a reraise preflop ... that has now been pushed ... that AA is the only reasonable hand. I would not expect to see AK here if villain is any good at all.

However - I still call - because I have no willpower.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:36 AM

i can't find your post now, but ur post was about KK. An A hit the flop, yet u still bet 70$, and everyone agreed that it was standard. You could have been played by villain, if he knows u and u know him i do this kind of stuff all the time.

I know it wasn't a he bets, you push situation it was reverse but aggression wins pots, and in this case he won it. 6.5:1 and u folded? that's worse than when i folded my 1:1 with top set [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 10:46 AM

in your case, you have significant draw to a hand that would be good.

In this case, Hero is likely drawing to 1 outer if he is wrong.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:48 AM

I don't like the preflop call that much.

its marginal at least.

If BB is good, it will be really obvious what I limped and called 2 raises preflop with and when I make my set, it will be tough to get paid off.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party 1/2. BB is a good player, knows me and my play and normally plays higher, button is a maniac LAG who loves to bet/raise with little to nothing and takes pride in showing his bluffs when people fold. Button has ~$220, BB has ~$200, I have them both covered.

Folded to button, who raises to $6. I call with 88, BB reraises to $20, button calls, I call.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($60)

I check, BB bets $35, button calls, I make it $120 straight, BB pushes for $180, button folds, I fold (getting ~6.5:1 on my money).

Flame away

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't Ghazban, get off his user account please. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 10:58 AM

did someone fold 2nd set to your set of Aces?

it's either a ridiculously good read or a ridiculous fold.