Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 10:19 AM

Default 98s plays a big pot live 1/2 NL

Foxwoods 1/2, $100 max buyin game.

She-villain is a woman who doesn't seem to understand the game (folds out of turn often, tried to raise by throwing in one $25 chip, has folded her BB in unraised pots multiple times) who is getting run over by the deck. She reraised 55 (from $10 to $20), got called, and ended up winning unimproved check/calling down on an AQxxx board (other player had 22 and felt he could push her out). She's been raising any 2 big cards and raising/reraising any pair all day and has taken down almost every single pot she's played just by pure dumb luck (i.e. if she raises QJo, the flop comes J-high and somebody pays her off with JT, if she raises a small pair and gets called by overcards, nobody every hits anything and her check/call down method wins her the pot). There was speculation after she left that it was all an act and, if so, it was an incredibly good one. I don't believe it but, hey, I could be wrong.

He-villain is a little loose preflop in that he'll play anything for a raise up to $15 that he would've limped with but isn't a total idiot postflop. He's lost his stack with kicker problems a couple times due to the looseness of his preflop calls and inability to lay down TPGK or small overpairs (TT on a 9-high board losing to QQ, for example).

I have 9s8s in LMP with about $750 behind. He-villain ($136) limps UTG, 2 others limp, I limp, She-villain ($349) raises to $10 on the button. SB folds, BB calls, he-villain and all limpers call so I call, too.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($51)

Everyone checks to me, I check, she-villain bets $25, he-villain is the only caller to me and I call, too.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($126)

He-villain checks, I check, she-villain bets $50, he-villain pushes for $101 total. I am almost postive he has some sort of 7 (probably A7s, maybe 87s or 76s). She-villain looks distressed by this raise and I feel it is unlikely she will reraise but will certainly call. I call here feeling that, even if I hit a 6 and it fills he-villain, I can get paid off by she-villain's likely AA/KK/AQ/KQ. There is certainly a risk I could make a flush that fills she-villain but she won't make a huge river bet (she's never bet more than $50 despite pot sizes) so, if the card that makes my flush is an ace or king, I plan on check/calling and betting if I make the flush with a low card or the straight.. In that case, I think I can get the rest of her stack if she has AA/KK/AQ/KQ as she has never (to my knowledge) folded an overpair or top pair. To my surprise, she reraises $50 more (an illegal raise as the minimum should be $51 but nobody notices and I'm not going to say anything when I'm still drawing). I call this, too.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (main pot: $429, side pot: $100)

This is the card I most wanted to see as I didn't think anybody would make me for the straight. I bet $200. She-villain has $163 left and pauses for an extremely long time, looking very uncomfortable. Her action and results to follow.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: 98s plays a big pot live 1/2 NL

I normally dont like going after straights and flushes with a pair on board, but im pretty sure you're safe here.

You seem to have good reads on both players, except for her weird reraise on the turn. id put her on something like QJ, she probably would have raised preflop with an overpair, even if she is a total donk. I think she'll call, she has 163 left and the two pots combined are roughly 700.

he-villain probably has a 7 of some sort. he might have boated up, but thats ok, cause if she-devil calls the river bet, you win ~$210 there and lose only ~~ $145 in the main pot.

I like the push on the end knowing she calls down with anything.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:24 PM

I think your preflop, flop and river play are all fine. No reason to semi-bluff idiot villians, no reason not to push on the river.

The turn is debatable. I don't think the call is bad, but I don't think a fold would be bad either. It's in the grey area since you may or may not have dirty outs.

I have this sick feeling she-villian slow-rolled you with QQ.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:05 PM

Well, I guess this wasn't interesting after all. Villain finally called. I said "straight" and showed my straight. He-villain flipped up Ad7d in disgust and she-villain paused a few seconds, then turned over QQ for the flopped boat.

I don't mind losing the hand, but the slowroll on the end pissed me off to no end-- closest I've ever come to severely tilting in a poker game. I folded the next hand, took a 5-minute walk, and came back in control.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:09 PM

[censored], that's tough. It's good that you were able to man up about it. Seriously, the [censored]'s wrong with her?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have this sick feeling she-villian slow-rolled you with QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play gooot.

Seriously though, that sucks. Tough beats don't bother me much, but slowrolling does. I probably would have had words with her.

Good to hear that you took a walk and regained your composure.