Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Default bottom set yucky board

Just wondering if i continue with this hand. if so check and fold a non-board pair ? or.... ?

any thoughts appreciated.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (9 handed) converter

MP1 ($40.40)
MP2 ($54.60)
MP3 ($18.95)
CO ($25.05)
Button ($35)
SB ($59.30)
Hero ($32.40)
UTG ($61.70)
UTG+1 ($109.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($3.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, UTG+1 calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $6</font>, SB folds, Hero... ?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: bottom set yucky board

i think you continue the hand. Call his bet and if the turn is harmless (doesn't fit the straight) come out with a continuation bet to get a feel for what he has. At this point i think you are ahead with him on a straight draw, maybe 2 pair or top pair.

there are seven cards that will probably give you the nuts.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:18 PM

If you just call the flop, though, you have priced in everyone with a straight draw (like those two callers behind you). Also if you think the OP is ahead of maybe 2 pair, then there certainly aren't 7 cards that give them the nuts.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

there is one card that will give you the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP (wow my first one)

Anyhow, I call and lead the turn should a blank fall, if I make my house I check-raise.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:38 PM

Well, I've stared at it for about 5 mins and whilst I think calling isn't great here, I don't think you have a choice. Is this a $50 buy in table? (sry, I don't play UB so don't know). If that's the case you are in a tricky spot because you are not sat in with enough.

You certainly can't fold here, and no matter what you do your money is going in. I *just* lean towards calling and betting the turn on a blank. If you make a boat on the turn, you can either bet it out or check-raise - whatever tickles your fancy.

If the turn is blank, once you've bet (because I'm assuming you will bet a reasonable amount), you are probably pot commited if someone raises you.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:04 PM

7 people to the flop no one thinks a flopped straight here ?

I think the bottom end of the straight looks really possible trying to protect his hand.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 02:06 PM

Is the button loose or tight? How often has he raised?

I'm not letting the set go here often. It would take a big time read to fold and put a QJ out there.

I'd usually raise, but given your stack, I might call and see what happens on the turn.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Although the situation isnt ideal, id plan on getting it all in. I think youre up against one of 4 things.

1. JT, open ended top pair
2. QJ, made hand
3. T9, top 2 pair
4. 67, the idiot straight

Instead of second guessing myself here, id plan on getting it all in, especially since you sat with less than the max buyin. If you sat with more, you could try reraising to 15 and see how he reacts, but once you put that much in youre pot committed.

I guess id reraise him, if he pushes, id react depending on the player, but id probably grit my teeth, call and hope for 2 pair.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the button loose or tight? How often has he raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

new to the table, but he seems tight in general hasnt done anything stupid since i got there. i still think with 7 people in a limped pot JQ and/or 67s make sence here.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
7 people to the flop no one thinks a flopped straight here ?

I think the bottom end of the straight looks really possible trying to protect his hand.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a straight he is doing a crappy job of protecting it with that lame raise. Call and see the turn and hope some more of the dead money call's along.