Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 08:53 AM

Default AK problem on the flop...

Can any1 help me on this one...

This happened twice today already..

Say you have AK or even for that matter AQ suited or unsuited in early to mid position. you raise pre-flop say 3 times the big blind and get one caller (2 would be worse but let's say one) in a later position

The flop is a mid flop say 2 6 10.

You make a continuation bet of say half to 3 quarters of the pot. They call. The turn is a blank (to you anyway and doesn't look like it would help them)

Do you bet again? with nothing? Or check (showing weakness)?
And if u bet again and they call again and no Ace or King comes on the river then what?

This is my biggest problem presently. Or should u just see the flop then check? Which would almost certainly state that the flop missed you completely?

Also if the flop is mid but coordinated say 8 10 J and they call your continuation bet and again the turn is blank do assume they are on a draw and bet big to find out? If they call you have then wasted a pre-flop bet, a bet on the flop and a bigger bet on the turn to try and "protect" a hand that you don't even have?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks
Old 06-22-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: AK problem on the flop...

<bump>

I'd like to hear responses on this as well...
Old 06-22-2005, 10:21 AM

I'm not sure what limits youre playing, but I've cut down a lot on my AK continuation bets lately.

I think what it comes down to is knowing your opponent. The purpose of the continuation bet is to make it appear as if you have a high pocket pair, not AK. If your opponent is a rock, continuation bet him, and on the turn, if you feel like he doesnt have much of a hand, continue representing high pockets. However, if he's a calling station or even a very aggressive player, dont even bother, just wait for a better spot.

Lately it seems a lot of players are check raising or minraising with anything to snap off continuation bets, so try and look out for these moves at your tables and just pick your spots when to use the continuation bet.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:27 AM

generally I make a continuation bet on the flop, if they call, i'm done with the hand. I'll try to take a free card on the turn if I have position, especially if the flop comes down j 10 x. With AK there you have extra straight outs, not to mention if you check the turn and the queen hits the river you are very likely to get action from him since you checked the turn. Generally how I play it.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:37 AM

in these loose SS games, i like to give up after the flop. who knows what the hell they are calling you with on the flop and what exactly they are willing to continue with on the turn and river. they might just call every street with bottom pair.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:48 PM

It was already mentioned in this thread that knowing your opponent in these situations (or any situation, for that matter) is critical in playing this correctly; I think putting your opponent on likely holdings and evaluating the strength of your hand should dictate your action on the flop. I think it is poor to make a "continuation" bet into any opponent. You should not have an "AK Plan" which always includes raising to 3xBB and leading out on the flop.

Also, I don't think it is necessary to get carried away with offsuit AQ and AK from early - mid positions. These hands are play best from later positions.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:23 PM

Interesting points.

I agree not to have an "AK plan" but it still needs a pre-flop raise even from early position.

Maybe a continuation bet is good if there is a J Q K or Ace on the board. Then you have raised pre-flop and then therefore could well have any of these with top Kicker or an Ace with a very high kicker. Maybe against a low flop it's better to make a bet if u know they will fold or just check and see what happens if you know they are solid.

At the end of the day if they are solid they might put you on a check raise then you will get a free card..
Old 06-22-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it still needs a pre-flop raise even from early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

These hands don't universally warrent raises. I've played in tough aggressive games where I dumped AQo and limped with AKo from early position and made the said raises from late position. But this thread was really about flop play, not PF play. I like leading if you think your opponents are capable of folding TJ or draws. Otherwise check / fold.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:16 PM

You really need to be reading your opponents to play this one correctly. Could they be playing a draw? If so, I check-raise on the turn (basically a semi-bluff). If no, then what you are getting for implied odds on the river should dicate your decision on the turn. I know its generally unpopular but I think a check on the turn is the right move and it becomes a check-raise or check-fold depending on your best read of situation (plus you may get to see the river for free if your opponent simply checks, which would be a mistake on their part). Finally, consider though that your betting pattern is suggestive of A-K or A-Q, and your opponent is likely have you on that range of hand. If they are a strong player, you likely want to let this hand go.

Rock27 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]