Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-23-2005, 02:07 PM

Default How easy is it to replace a motherboard in a notebook?

I have an HP zd7000 pavillion notebook. Almost on cue (just before the one year warranty expired) the motherboard went bad. HP repaired it and sent it back.

A short time later (after the warranty expired) I started having some problems and took it in to the local computer shop- they said the motherboard was bad. I asked them if there was a possibility that there was some problem causing the motherboard to go bad, as I had just had it replaced. They said the most likely scenario was that when I sent it in for warranty service, the motherboard was replaced with a used board that was on its way out.

I figure my options are:
1) have it replaced by a shop- $450
2) get a new computer and hope I don't have any problems
3) replace the motherboard myself- how easy is this to do? I generally am ok at fixing things. For example I do most of the repairs on my vehicles myself- and seeing as this computer cost more than any vehicle I have purchased ($1800)they have definitely needed some repairs. Or am I just asking for an expensive lesson? I assume I can find a board online for a lot less than the $450 the shop would charge to replace it.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: How easy is it to replace a motherboard in a notebook?

I've never done it.

I've seen boards on ebay, I assume they are working pulls from machines with something else wrong.

I was thinking of replacing the HDD in a G4 ibook, then I found: http://www.sterpin.net/uk/ddibookg4uk.htm

yuk.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and let apple do it.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:14 PM

Option #2.

Why spend 80% of the cost of a new laptop just to fix the old one?

Laptops are a bitch to work on.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:44 PM

this is pretty much as hard as it gets as far as hardware work goes, but it's not worth $450 to have someone do it. If you can find the board for around $100 it would probably be worth doing, even just to sell it as a workign laptop.

what are the symptoms that make them think it's a bad motherboard?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:02 PM

You may also want to get back to HP. Repairs usually have their own warrenty that continues even if the original one expires. For Apple it's 3 months after the repair for any damage that could reasonably be associated with the repair, and the repair itself. I don't know about HP.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:55 PM

This is an $1800 laptop so $450 is closer to 30%, which is why I would consider it.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:58 PM

They did a diagnostics, they only told me the results, I am not savy enough to even guess what was entailed.

The reason I took it in was because the screen is blank when it starts up- which is similar to what happend the first time the motherboard went bad.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:01 PM

I already tried that- The guy in support said once the warranty is over, thats it, end of story. I am not sure that he knew what he was talking about, he took a long time to figure out what I was asking.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:37 PM

warranty is over? to me it looks like it went bad within the warranty and they didn't fix it. another call might be an option, too.

if hp won't do anything about it go with option #2.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:46 AM

20 days after the warranty expired I had problems with my Dell 5150 laptop. Dell tech support thought it was the motherboard and would not fix it unless I paid. What a bunch of bastdards.

Anyways, I decided just to take the laptop completely apart and re-assemble it. I was hoping that doing that would fix the problem. It didn't. However I did learn that changing out a motherboard in a laptop is a fairly easy and straight foward process.

I bought a motherboard for a Dell 5160 laptop off ebay. When it arrived it took me about an hour to successfully replace it. Basically you need a set of precision screw drivers, a sorter to put all the little screws in, and some thermal grease. Pen and paper as well as a digital camera can be very handy if think you might not remember how to re-assemble it once its down to bits.

If you can replace a motherboard in a desktop computer, replacing one in a laptop should not be a problem(I think its easier in fact).

Stu