Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Help me accessorize this coat

Looking for something along the lines of leather or knit gloves, a nice scarf, maybe a knit cap. All color recommendations appreciated also. This is a gift for the g/f.

FWIW, I'm currently leaning towards red leather gloves, a solid red Cashmere scarf and some sort of matching hat.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Help me accessorize this coat

i like that theme. nice devil look.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:13 AM

Bedazzler.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Looking for something along the lines of leather or knit gloves, a nice scarf, maybe a knit cap. All color recommendations appreciated also. This is a gift for the g/f.

FWIW, I'm currently leaning towards red leather gloves, a solid red Cashmere scarf and some sort of matching hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am assuming the coat is black, although on my lousy monitor it could be dark brown. I personally like black leather gloves with fur trim/lining. I don't know how many pairs of those I've had over the years--I just bought a new pair to replace the drowned ones. I like the idea of the cashmere scarf, and red is good. Another possibility is a handknit scarf made of first-class fiber (could be wool or mohair or a number of other possibilities)--these come in all kinds of colors and textures. My friend who does handknitting of the highest quality made me a gorgeous mohair scarf in shades of blue/green (again to replace one that drowned). Nice hand knits in premium yarn go for about $50. You can find handknits online. Yarn shops also tend to have some for purchase. Other places that would have them are boutiques that specialize in high-end crafts/artisan-made goods. But cashmere is always good. I personally would go for gloves to match the coat, and the hat (beret?)and scarf in an accent color. I dunno--red gloves look like someone cut off the hands.....

I would only buy red if her wardrobe contains other red items--red is not everyone's cup of tea. If she wears red frequently, then you are good to go. For myself, I would avoid red, and go for something in the blue-green-purple-burgundy range. Red is too much for someone with my very fair coloring (unless of course we are talking about lingerie, red being second only to black in that department). Come to think of it though, I did just buy myself a red boiled wool jacket, so, yeah, even I wear red sometimes.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:24 AM

Some of those gloves with the fingers cut off would be rad.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:26 AM

This seems like very solid advice.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of those gloves with the fingers cut off would be rad.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 PM

Yes, the coat is black.

So stick with black leather gloves for her. Her new car is fire engine red, so I don't think the red will be a problem. But I'm definitely not locked in. I tend to like her in 3 colors: black, white and red.

Beret is a good idea. She's not big into hats, so it'd be a great chance to try something really cute like that and hope to expand her horizons.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:43 PM

No leather, cashmere, wool...
JK, it's up to you.
Try to use similar fabrics or fabric styles to the coat.

Red is cool if you think she'll wear it. Or burgundy.
Does she wear hats? Some women do, some don't. I like the glove/scarf combo, but if you add a hat, I think it shouldn't be all the same color. Go for a tan or black hat with a red accent trim. Or make the gloves and scarf solid and the hat striped or plaid (burberry).

Nice gift, by the way.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:45 PM

You're going with black for the hat, right? Red gloves and scarf are fine, but the hat should match the jacket if the scarf doesn't, I'd think.

~D