Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-18-2005, 03:15 AM

Default KTs when short stacked

Blinds at 1500/3000. 8 players left. Here are the relevant stacks:

Seat 1: MP1(21556 in chips)
Seat 3: MP2(10231.50 in chips)
Seat 4: CO (12852.50 in chips)
Seat 5: Button (12059 in chips)
Seat 6: SB (11900 in chips)
Seat 7: BB (23350 in chips)
Seat 8: UTG (82041 in chips)
Seat 10: UTG+1 (31510 in chips)

dealt to Button K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG: calls 3000
4 folds
Button: ?
What's the correct play?

Assume button calls 3000

SB: raises to 11500 and is all-in
BB folds
UTG raises to 20000
Button: ?
What's the correct play?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: KTs when short stacked

Limping for 1/4 of your stack was not the correct play. I would just push. You should get heads up with UTG with 1.4-1 pot odds.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:23 AM

payout structure?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limping for 1/4 of your stack was not the correct play. I would just push. You should get heads up with UTG with 1.4-1 pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Seeing that you did limp, I'd say UTG makes this raise most of the time, so his range is pretty much still any hand he would limp with, I don't think his reraise narrows it down much. I think you must call here in most tournament situations.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:39 AM

It looks like there are 4 stacks with about 4xBB. I guess everyone is waiting for someone else to bust out. It is probably good to try to steal from someone who is trying to move up.

UTG is the biggest stack and is probably taking advantage of teh situation by limping. UTG probably doesn't have much, but will probably make a pot odds call if you push. Limping behind thebig stack for 1/4 of your stack is terrible.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:42 AM

It looks like there are 4 stacks with about 4xBB. I guess everyone is waiting for someone else to bust out. It is probably good to try to steal from someone who is trying to move up.

UTG is the biggest stack and is probably taking advantage of teh situation by limping. UTG probably doesn't have much, but will probably make a pot odds call if you push. Limping behind thebig stack for 1/4 of your stack is terrible.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG probably doesn't have much, but will probably make a pot odds call if you push.

[/ QUOTE ]

er.. then why would you want to push? KTs is not a hand that i want to be called, ,even if his range is wide.

calling here and you're out of the tournament ~40% of the time. if you fold, you'll very likely find a better opportunity to push in the next few hands.

to be clear i'm talking about hero's initial limp in the hand. after limping, yea sure call and gamble.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UTG probably doesn't have much, but will probably make a pot odds call if you push.

[/ QUOTE ]

er.. then why would you want to push? KTs is not a hand that i want to be called, ,even if his range is wide.

calling here and you're out of the tournament ~40% of the time. if you fold, you'll very likely find a better opportunity to push in the next few hands.

to be clear i'm talking about hero's initial limp in the hand. after limping, yea sure call and gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the table dynamics. If the big stack is limping into every hand, you may not get a better chance to steal.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:53 PM

So I guess the concensus is that KTs was playable in this situation?

The reason I posted this hand--a friend of mine was the BB this hand. (I was not involved in this hand at all). BB had pocket aces. UTG had pocket 9s. The flop had both a T and a K, so Button won the hand with two pair. BB thought that the Button call of an all-raise was terrible
Old 12-19-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB thought that the Button call of an all-raise was terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - The guy getting his Aces cracked always says that! But never when they hold up! :-)

I don't think that Calling the all in was bad. But the limping was terrible. When you are that short stacked, PUSH!