Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Hand from sweat session

This hand is from a sweat session. Neither of us are really sure about what to do.

SB is 68/4/1.5 over 50 hands
BTN is 39/4/0.9 over 138 hands
CO is 54/9/1.9 over 46 hands

Edited to say that this is 1/2 at Pokerstars.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
CO calls, BTN Calls, SB calls, Hero checks
Flop:(4SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BTN folds, SB folds
Turn:(3BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

All comments are appreciated.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Hand from sweat session

I'd have check-folded the flop, the pot is ubersmall and if you run into a 9, river could be an A or K. Then what?
I guess you could have the best hand, but what do you do when a turn card like that comes?? I'd avoid the hassle in a small pot...

Of course, I'm saying this after a particularly brutal session, so it's probably a bit weak-tight...

EDIT: Actually, the only turn card I'm comfortable with OOP is a J... and the river could still screw me.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:14 PM

That's an ugly turn card, and I'd probably check/fold. Pot is small, and at this point you're behind to way more than you're ahead of right now.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:31 PM

bet/fold

if called, bet/fold river too. You may lose to a Q, perhaps a K, even a passive player raises an A and quite likely a 9. You beat tens, underpairs.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet/fold

if called, bet/fold river too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we should bet/fold this river. I don't see any worse hand calling us with four to the straight on board.

But I'm check folding this horrible turn card.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:27 PM

yeah, i'm a bit of a lag. I was wondering if anyone would defend my LAGgy proposition

guess not [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 07:46 AM

Thank you very much for your comments so far. Here's my thinking.

I actually would have check/folded the flop here since the pot was small and the board looked pretty scary to me. The guy sweating me is a much better player than I am, and he told me to bet the flop. I know that I'm weak-tight by nature and a downswing has probably pushed me in that direction as well, so I thought he was probably right, and I bet the flop.

On the turn I probably would have check/folded again since the pot is still pretty small and the board now looks very bad to me. I mean if villain called me with any overcard or an OESD he now beats me. I know that people at this level will call with much less than any of these though. The guy sweating me told me to bet/fold, but he really wasn't sure about this. Here's the turn and river.

Turn:(3BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, CO calls
River:(5BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

Any further comments on the flop, turn and river play will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:44 AM

I'm the guy doing the sweating, and rumors of my poker mastery are greatly exaggerated. I don't mind my flop bet, but I think that turn is a check/fold. The pot is really small, so it's not bad to let it go rather than get into an ugly spot. Given that he called our turn bet, the river is a pretty easy c/f.