Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-15-2005, 11:19 AM

Default $22 Stars 180-man, UTG limps, folded to my BB

PokerStars Game #3339682140: Tournament #16536368, Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2005/12/15 - 10:02:03 (ET)
Table '16536368 1' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: mikesflop (1320 in chips)
Seat 2: BigLick624 (1475 in chips)
Seat 3: MarkN13 (2775 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero (2880 in chips)
Seat 5: CMET1UP (2718 in chips)
Seat 6: supersvenske (2630 in chips)
Seat 7: tor66 (3453 in chips)
Seat 8: coolnix (2694 in chips)
Seat 9: gadawg3 (4305 in chips)
MarkN13: posts small blind 75
Hero: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
CMET1UP: calls 150
supersvenske: folds
tor66: folds
coolnix: folds
gadawg3: folds
mikesflop: folds
BigLick624: folds
MarkN13: folds
Hero: checks
*** FLOP *** [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero: bets 200
CMET1UP: calls 200
*** TURN *** [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Hero: bets 375
CMET1UP: raises 375 to 750
Hero: ?

Don't remember reads. Any pots I was in, I usually was raiser and took down pot w/ postflop bet. I got it all-in w/ KK on a Q high flop to double up and showed trips 8s after I open raised from the button w/ 88, both blinds called, AQ8,and I had bet. I've probably won 8-9 pots.

Comments on flop bet and turn bet are welcome. Put villain on a range for limping preflop.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: $22 Stars 180-man, UTG limps, folded to my BB

man, it's hard to think of a hand that you're behind here. 22, 44, and AJ are probably the most likely, with a2 and a4 also possible from a loose limper. but i'd be surprised to see villain play a flush draw this way and more surprised to see this from air / Jx, so i think you should fold the turn.

fwiw, i would've checked the turn with the plan of check/calling and bet-folding the river or bet-calling the river if he checks the turn.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
man, it's hard to think of a hand that you're behind here. 22, 44, and AJ are probably the most likely, with a2 and a4 also possible from a loose limper. but i'd be surprised to see villain play a flush draw this way and more surprised to see this from air / Jx, so i think you should fold the turn.

fwiw, i would've checked the turn with the plan of check/calling and bet-folding the river or bet-calling the river if he checks the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of us is confused. He's behind A2, A4 and A8+. He's got TPWK on a flushing board. Fold, I think.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:27 PM

Bleh - reluctantly fold. Anything that you can beat would have dropped preflop or would have just called you turn bet. I guess A (5,3,or 6) are possible. But more likely would be a set or a bigger Ace. If he had KJ and was planning to check raise you on the turn, the ace would have scared him. Also, the mini raise, for a player with a decent stack is a big red flag as well.

Fold.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:34 PM

The main problem is what he is putting you on.
I would have played this the same and would probably fold to his reraise. My guess is he's got trips and while he'll give you one free card, the draws means he's not goiing to give you two. I can't think that I'm ahead and if I am I'm unlikley to remain so.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of us is confused. He's behind A2, A4 and A8+. He's got TPWK on a flushing board. Fold, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? i mentioned A2 and A4 specifically. the reason i didn't mention A8 is that i didn't think it was calling a flop bet (esp since hero has a the Ac in his hand). i don't really understand what you're saying.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? i mentioned A2 and A4 specifically. the reason i didn't mention A8 is that i didn't think it was calling a flop bet (esp since hero has a the Ac in his hand). i don't really understand what you're saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was right. I'm the one who was confused. Thought the flop was checked through.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:16 PM

min raises, especially on the turn, scare me. I'd dump it right there and assume you were up something big like AJ or a set. And if he limped w/ an ace UTG his kicker is surely better then a 7, logical guess is AT maybe A9s. If he raised w/ nothing on the ace to try and scare you he did a good job, I don't think u'll see that a lot tho in that tournament.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Results, My Thinking on the Turn, and a Few Questions

After some thought, I reraised all-in. Villain was semitight, so I would've had to put villain specifically on 22, 44, or AJ.

*** TURN *** [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Hero: bets 375
CMET1UP: raises 375 to 750
Hero: raises 1780 to 2530 and is all-in
CMET1UP: calls 1618 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Hero: shows [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (a pair of Aces)
CMET1UP: shows [K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] (a pair of Aces - King kicker)
Hero said, "?"
CMET1UP collected 5511 from pot

Eventual bitter dialogue...
Hero said, "you call flop bet.. because..."
CMET1UP said, "and u bet baecause??"
Hero said, "you miss often"

My thoughts...

Villain had not open limped once (i checked HH) since the tourney began. Of the two EP raising hands I saw of his, he showed TT and AA. He was not opening lots of pots. In a previous hand, villain in this hand rose to T150 UTG (25/50), folded to sb, who called, I called in BB, flop came Kc 4c 9d, checked to villain who bet 150 into 450 pot, sb folded, I checkraised to 500, villain moved in to T568 and I folded. Villain showed me AA. In the 50/100 level, I open raised for T300 in EMP w/ 3k in my stack, someone moved all-in to T2100, I took 30 sec of my time bank to fold.

I felt a decent percentage of the time villain would have 22, 44, or AJ. However, do you think villain is putting a move on me w/ 33, 55-88, or a big drawing hand like QcKc/QcTc (I don't mention a pair of jacks or QQ & KK, because those probably would've raised flop) often enough to make a reraise here profitable? Notice I have the Ac, so villain isn't on the nut flush draw. If I believe I'm ahead, is a simple call better w/ the intention of checking the river? I also think my flop bet was too small. Think 250-275ish bet on the flop is much better, or marginally better?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:31 PM

I have the Ac. So why is AT or A9 still in the hand on the turn?