Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-08-2005, 01:19 AM

Default K9s missed flop

i'm posting this because it's a common situation i run into. i have overcards but several callers and i miss the flop. is the way i played this standard? i seem to bet the flop and fold the turn like this not only because on the turn it's more likely a better hand is out, but because the bet doubles as well.

first hand, so no reads yet.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, BB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
Old 12-08-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: K9s missed flop

Postflop is fine.

not a fan of the raise preflop. with a limper already the pot will often be 3-4 handed, and you may find yourself out of position. not a good spot for K9s.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:35 AM

really? i guess i'll have to hear more opinions, i thought this was standard if not at least borderline.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:41 AM

I probably bet the turn -- the odds of you being best here are certainly non-zero, and I would hate to give a hand like 87 a free card to beat me.

The raise pre-flop here is standard -- I would have to figure the looseness range of a table being too loose to be able to raise for isolation but too tight to raise for value being very tiny. K9s is fairly marginal, but I would figure it to be profitable on a loose table (maybe some advanced computerized analysis would prove that one way or the other). It is probably close enough to not matter if you raise or fold here.

-K
Old 12-08-2005, 01:44 AM

my caution on the turn is that i have King high not Ace high, and ace-rag is very popular at these limits to play.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my caution on the turn is that i have King high not Ace high, and ace-rag is very popular at these limits to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

bet the turn then and fold the better hand.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:59 AM

who's folding that at this level? i just can't see it happening often.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:10 AM

I like preflop.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:14 AM

*shrug*

I don't see much value in it. To each their own, I play pretty passively preflop compared to some. I even open limp.