Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-17-2005, 11:15 PM

Default T9s, getting back into the thick of it

After experimenting with NL, NL tournies, royal hold 'em, etc.. I've decided to get back into my bread'n'butter, limit. It's been quite a long while since I've played, so I'm going to be pretty active posting hands and grunching and what not. Here's my first hand:

Reads: None really to speak of. I was 4-tabling at the time in my first couple of orbits. The villain's PT stats are 61 VPIP through about 15 hands and this was his first preflop raise. That doesn't mean much, but so far he is being pretty loose. I think I played my hand pretty well, though I'd like comment on all streets, including preflop.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

The table was pretty passive preflop, so I was willing to try to see a flop with this hand. Too bad the villain raised.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds.

Check/raise for flop equity, yes? A quick look at the villains stats showed he had an aggression rating of 1. Through 15 hands, still, not too much to rely on. In case he did have a good hand though, I'd rather risk having it checked through than having the preflop raiser blast everyone else with 2 bets cold and end up heads-up with him. The button folded anyhow, so at least I got one bet out of him.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Check/call.

River: (9.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

I doubt he has a full house because I'd imagine he would've 3-bet me on the flop with his set. If he happens to have a higher flush, all the better for him. So I cap for value.

Final Pot: 17.75 BB
Old 11-17-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: T9s, getting back into the thick of it

in this hand yeah the flop check raise is okay because you have a gutshot to go along with your flush outs. button folding is not entirely unusual, but it is unfortunate.

since it is now heads up on the turn and you were not 3-bet on the flop, the only thing i see against betting the turn is that this is 0.10/0.20 (my current limit), and he might just call you down with K/A high. so i think checking is good here, at this game.

river is fine. he's the one who capped, but hey.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:26 PM

I suppose I could try a semi-bluff on the turn against a pretty weak opponent, I never thought about that. It'd also be good for disguising my hand too. I'll add that to my repertoire. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 AM

* grunch *

Preflop: I like the limp in this spot given that the table is loose passive.

Flop: with more callers, the check raise would have more value, here the check raise still has value, but there is a risk that CO will 3 bet and push button out. I think the check raise makes a bit more money on the flop but adds more variance. However, keeping button in has other advantages then pot equity since he might pay us off if we improve. So I would just check call.

I check the turn because people call down too much at this limit.

I bet out the river and call the raise. If we 3 bet he can cap, and it will cost us 2 bets. I don't think we are a 2-1 favorite against his range of hands.