Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Folding a set in a big pot.

IMO, the BB is as likely to have 77 as he is AA, considering -

a) who the initial raiser was, and
b) the fact that you only called (preflop)

Playing 77, he could simply have been looking to get HU with the LAG. But the 6.5:1 odds is plenty enough for me to call and find out if i was wrong or not.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think villain is going to piss away his stack hoping solid OP is going to make a horrible fold? Do you think villain puts hero on a bluff or something?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not a deep stack and a bluff is very possible here given the weak flop bet and the flat call from the button. This is a good spot for OP to bluff, IMO. Villain is a good player who can make a fold and BN didn't raise despite the draw heavy nature of the board. Seems like no one's too excited about the pot and OP might stand to take down a nice one with a bluff.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:15 PM

OK.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:41 PM

You should never fold your set after your reraise to $120. For another $60 you still have a high chance that he does not have AA. I think where you messed up was reraising to $120. Reraising to $120 makes you pot-commited with odds for your set anyways and you were a fool to fold.

Then again the villian against me last night as in the same situation as you and this how the hand fared.

ANTES/BLINDS
shlomo99 posts blind ($0.50), Hero posts blind ($1).

PRE-FLOP
VauLT_CLerK folds, althegreat1 folds, swup calls $1, Stevieb80 folds, cho dog calls $1, shlomo99 calls $0.50, Hero bets $4, swup calls $4, cho dog calls $4, shlomo99 folds.

FLOP [board cards AD,2C,10D ]
Hero checks, swup bets $6, cho dog calls $6, Hero bets $30, swup bets $48, cho dog folds, Hero bets $50.25 and is all-in, swup calls $26.25.

TURN [board cards AD,2C,10D,3H ]

RIVER [board cards AD,2C,10D,3H,KS ]

SHOWDOWN
Hero shows [ AC,AS ] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
swup shows [ 10H,10C ][img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Hero wins $179.50. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party 1/2. BB is a good player, knows me and my play and normally plays higher, button is a maniac LAG who loves to bet/raise with little to nothing and takes pride in showing his bluffs when people fold. Button has ~$220, BB has ~$200, I have them both covered.

Folded to button, who raises to $6. I call with 88, BB reraises to $20, button calls, I call.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($60)

I check, BB bets $35, button calls, I make it $120 straight, BB pushes for $180, button folds, I fold (getting ~6.5:1 on my money).

Flame away

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I cant say I agree with this. If BB is a good player and he knows you, you have to consider what range of hands he might be putting you on. Also does he think you are willing to lay down a pretty good hand to a big move. Is it possible he is putting a squeeze on you ? I dont know. But I do know that I am probably not a good enough player to lay this down unless I have some very good reads on this player. That said the only thing that sways me toward your decision is that good player raising out of the BB probably means a big hand. But against his possible range of hands Im not sure you can fold here.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:48 PM

77, KQ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] are both possible here.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:23 PM

Folding is ABSURD. Ok, you know that he is a good player, but can you really put him on AA?! NOOOOO! Ed Miller would eat you alive for this!

You may have notes that say he is good, but come on. Now when you say he knows you, maybe he does. Maybe he knows you will fold to an allin if you dont have the absolute nuts, so all he has to do is hope you dont have AA and he can allin 62o if he wants.

This the most sickening thing I have ever seen
Old 07-06-2005, 05:51 PM

If he pushed for 300, yeah, folding is ok (I still wouldn't do it). Here, folding is ridiculous and absurd. Don't you think BB could be isolating the maniac Button with 77 or AK, or even A8s? Plus, come on, this is PartyPoker 1/2. I have seen some absolutely insane plays from players I thought were good.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:03 PM

Well, I left out a couple details. The first is that BB was fairly new to the table and didn't necessarily know button was a maniac. I also didn't fold [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] My chat comments after her push were along the lines of:

[ QUOTE ]
You have AA
and I have one out
and I'm not getting odds to draw
but I'm a fish so I guess I have to

[/ QUOTE ]

She had AA, I lost, and I am 100% positive folding there would have been correct. You can give me all the results-oriented garbage you want but I know there are zero hands other than AA that she plays like this.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:12 PM

we all get stacked here.