Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Short Handed vs Full Table

I always play full tables. In fact, if the table gets down to 8 or less for a couple orbits, I get out. Some folks play only short handed tables. I have a fair grasp of how one would adjust to short handed (somewhat looser & more agressive), but I'm not sure why onw would play.

There must be some +EV, so is the motivation to play short handed?

BTW - I don't plan to try SH any time soon.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Short Handed vs Full Table

it's +EV in that u can bet more with less and in the end make more. if u have UB, add "Mahatma" and observe him. He rarely plays full ring, only SH (mainly heads up) 50/100$ nl. deep stacks
Old 07-02-2005, 02:38 PM

when playing short hand values go up. TPTK is a much stronger hand sh than it is full ring. essentially, you dont have to hold the "nuts" to drag a pot short. middle pair is often the best hand. the result is a skilled player can play a wider range of hands profitably thereby increasing his winrate. as an aside, fish "know" short games are looser and will back top pair shitty kicker (and much worse) with their stack.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:39 PM

in full table when do you play most of your hands? in LP.

when it's short-handed, you're in LP a higher percentage of the time.

also, the players are maniacs.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:14 PM

A major advantage to shorthanded is that it is much easier to isolate a bad player and play only against him. Whenever there is a major fish at your table, you always want to isolate him in hands and focus your attention on him. This becomes much easier to do if you only have to deal with 4 other opponents instead of 7 or 8.

Also, atleast in SSNL, the six max players are far, far worse.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:27 PM

I play SH and i cant even tell you how many times i will bet the pot on the flop and allin the turn with a strong hand and some moron will call me with a str8 or flush draw. it's hilarious. Also, as someone already said, it's a snap to see who the idiots are and take their money. in addition to the fact that it's easier to spot them, they are generally looser and worse players, giving you an even bigger advantage.

If you try 6max, play the party nl25. its a cakewalk- you can just play your cards and not even worry about how your opponent plays and crush the game. take into account how your opponents play and you'll destroy it
Old 07-02-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short Handed vs Full Table

[/ QUOTE ]
SH.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:33 PM

I have accounts everywhere except UB, but I play PP most of the time. Because I play pretty tight (~18%VP$IP), 10 handed reduces the cost of the blinds while I wait for my hands. I have avoided SH games, because the blinds seemed to be a larger drag.

But what I'm reading here, that should not be an issue as I will make the best hand more often and when I get the nuts, it seems like I would get paid off well.

I think, for me, it would be an adjustment post flop. I would think playing tight and position would stay the same, but my VP$IP would go up due to being in LP more often. The post flop play, however, seems a bit more daunting.

Any good posts on post flop play in SH games?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:00 PM

Man I need to start playing SH.