Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-28-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Tough KK situation, sidepot gets huge

MP1 is a crap player, only 3.60, doesnt matter. No notes on other villain besides he has more than max buyin at each table hes at.

villain also has me covered

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) converter

SB ($93.85)
BB ($46.10)
UTG ($83.65)
UTG+1 ($82.70)
MP1 ($3.60)
MP2 ($57)
CO ($24.25)
Hero ($76.10)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $3.6</font>, Hero calls $0.60, UTG calls $0.60.

Flop: ($11.55) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $5.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $11</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $32</font>, Hero folds.

Turn: ($54.55) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($54.55) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $54.55
Old 06-28-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Tough KK situation, sidepot gets huge

What's witht he minraise?
Old 06-28-2005, 12:57 AM

No clue why I just min raised. Probably should have made it about 25.

edit: Suppose I made it 25 and he pushes.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:08 AM

That is a tough situation and I am very interested in the replies to this. My number one problem it seems, is when I bet for value with a top or overpair. A lot of times they fold, and I am happy (Bets of maybe around 1/2 pot for top pair with a higher kicker, A or K...maybe 3/4ths pot if I am holding AA, KK, QQ with no cards that could be a higher pair than my pockets [such as an Ace on the board when I am holding Kings])
Other times they call, and I tend to make another continuation bet on the turn, unless it looks like it solidifies my hand. I might back down to a third of the pot if it makes a 3-flush or a 3-straight on the board, to see what kind of action I get back, and take pot-odds into account on a raise back at me.

However, turn play isn't what I meant to discuss, sorry for that tangent. My question is similar to that of the original poster. If I am the first to bet (either checked to me, or I am first to act), and I make my standard bet of around half the pot, and it gets a raise of 3x..Do I assume they hit trips with pocket Queens? I am fairly sure no pocket Aces from the pre-flop play, but Queens and even Sevens are possible...

This is definitely the weakest part of my game that I can readily identify simply by reading a hand on a forum and not looking at a stat-tracker. I have no clue how to handle big re-raises, and I tend to call them down and get hurt badly by trips, or I fold and will never know if I had the winning hand.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:11 AM

i think i really botched it with the min raise, i was totally out to lunch until the reraise
Old 06-28-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no clue how to handle big re-raises, and I tend to call them down and get hurt badly by trips, or I fold and will never know if I had the winning hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the level.