Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 09:44 AM

Default General Short Handed Play

I've always been a full game ring player, but I want to work on my short handed game. I'm a tight player (no PT, so i dont have stats, but I generally see about 17-18% of flops and I would probably characterize myself as tight-passive/aggressive, leaning towards the passive side, so 6 max does not seem suited for my game).

I know I need to play more hands and play hands more aggressively, but what are more specific and other successful approaches to 6 max tables? What kind of flop percentage do you guys see at these tables? What hands should I give more and less value? How differently should I approach preflop and flop raising to a full game?

I have general ideas about most of these answers, but i'd like to hear other opinions.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: General Short Handed Play

people here will say that you need to play more hands at 6max to be profitable but I don't think this is true.

I run a healthy 14PTBB/100 playing VPIP 17-18 at 6 max 50s.

I think you should give it a try. 6max also has the advantage of allowing you to not have to limp or fold AJ/AQ when UTG, UTG+1, etc...
Old 06-24-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: General Short Handed Play

I play about 28/18. I play the NL 100's. I generally mix it up a little more than I would at a full ring....you want to mix up what you are raising with, things like that, because there are less people that your opponents have to pay attention to. I'm generally raising UTG with A10s or better, KQ suited or better, limping other suited broadways, pocket pairs. Loosen up very slightly in MP, and in late position i'm loosening up quite a bit more. I still generally limp all baby pockets, although i'll throw in a very occasional raise with them, usually if its folded to me. Limp suited connectors late and occasionally raise with them, especially if i'm first in.

Obviously if you get callers on your marginal raises, you tread lightly on the flop unless it hits you hard.