Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-20-2005, 12:41 PM

Default 88 hand

I dont have much of a read on villian, mining shows he is 44/8/1.3. BB is like 35 VPIP and tricky and aggresive postflop.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

rough session and as a result im second guessing every situation im in. I do wrong here? call river?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: 88 hand

I generally call this river, but that may be a leak. I see busted draws and lower pairs too often, although the relentless donking is annoying. Wouldn't he let you bet and c/r you somewhere if he had a monster though? Doesn't much seem like the line a made flush or other big hand would take. Monotone boards mess with people's minds though - I'm less sure what bets mean then usually.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:25 PM

Wow, I think this is a really bad fold. I mean Ah alone will make up enough of his range to call with.

Krishan
Old 12-20-2005, 01:29 PM

since this guy is a tard i would call down. if he seemed like a competent player then i think it would be a good fold.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:31 PM

I tell you what you did wrong. You have virtually no outs so if you decided to call the flop how do you fold the river with that turn and river card? either you decided the UTG was betting with KQ or AK one heart trying to push you off your hand than of course its an easy call on the river. If you think he has a made hand its an easy fold on the flop. Dont call down and then fold.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tell you what you did wrong. You have virtually no outs so if you decided to call the flop how do you fold the river with that turn and river card? either you decided the UTG was betting with KQ or AK one heart trying to push you off your hand than of course its an easy call on the river. If you think he has a made hand its an easy fold on the flop. Dont call down and then fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi dangerfish,

your advice is very dangerous. see, its a mistake to fold hands that have 9 outs in pots this big. its also a mistake to fold hands that are ahead a decent amount of time.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:42 PM

I would raise the flop and call the river. Agree with others that river fold is a big mistake.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:13 PM

Don't get why you folded the river.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:16 PM

No one's going to answer this because we all hate it and don't know what to do.

This whole hand is linked together. If you had folded the flop I wouldn't criticize. It's going to be an expensive hand to play because of the uncertainty and the player behind you is a major danger. But calling the flop is reasonable too.

After you called the flop two really good things happened: BB folded and you avoided an overcard on the turn. Just by comparison calling the turn looks better than calling the flop.

A feature of this deal is you don't know who has the made hand and who has the draw. I'm sure if you had both Villain wouldn't be pushing his hand. There is a large risk that Villain has both and that means you need a significant overlay to keep playing. 6.5-1 isn't good enough to call the turn strictly as a draw. You need additional pot equity from sometimes having the best hand.

That makes it hard to understand folding the river on a blank. In isolation this may be the correct decision, but the implication is that you don't believe in your hand in which case you should have folded the turn. Stepping back again, to fold the turn after getting so much luck means you should have folded the flop too.

So overall I don't think your play of this hand hangs together.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:29 PM

Since he was still around by the river he might as well call getting 8ish to 1 or whatever it was and hope that his opponent had just the Ah. That's what happens when you stick around to the river sometimes, you have to throw that last bet in there and hope this is the one time in seven point one that the guy was trying to bluff you out that makes the river call slightly positive e vee.