Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-20-2005, 10:01 AM

Default River the underfull

Party $10/20. Just sat down, don't know these guys.

I have J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB.

UTG limps, CO raises, button and SB fold. I decide to call getting a likely 5-1. Comments welcome. UTG calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I check, UTG checks, CO bets, I raise, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I bet, UTG calls, CO folds.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I bet, UTG raises.

What's my response (pot odds are 11-1), and what's my best river line anyway?

Guy.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: River the underfull

bat/call
nothing to discuss here.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:10 PM

Bet/call.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bat/call

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 PM

no one likes check/call? The guy called 2 cold on the flop here, I doubt it was with ace rag, and any baby pair or 6 is counterfeited. What else is he calling with? There are lots of draws he could be chasing, I dont think hell bluff the busted draw that often, but you never know, and the pot is big enough I dont want to fold, and i dont want to have to put 2 bets in either.

also, how close is this PF? I fold here a lot, is that a leak?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no one likes check/call? The guy called 2 cold on the flop here, I doubt it was with ace rag, and any baby pair or 6 is counterfeited. What else is he calling with? There are lots of draws he could be chasing, I dont think hell bluff the busted draw that often, but you never know, and the pot is big enough I dont want to fold, and i dont want to have to put 2 bets in either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god I'm not the only one that doesn't like the bet/call line here. We're both wusses, I guess. The guy cold-called two on a paired flop, and did not raise preflop. My guess is something like Q9. Not strong enough to 3-bet on the flop, especially on a paired board, but too strong to just fold. Either that, or a draw like JT or an underpair, which you'd want to induce a bluff out of anyway.

The more I think about it, the more I hate hate hate hate hate bet/call here.

EDIT: I suppose he could have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and would call a river bet, but check if it's checked to him. That is the ONLY value-bet you've got here, and he might try to bluff you anyway.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo folding PF would be a clear error for anyone who is competent postflop. I'd call with any two suited (not that I'm advocating that for everyone) and J8s is waay better than any two suited. J8s is quite strong hand three way in 6-max--at 5:1 a no brainer.. I'd even defend it HU vs. UTG, but I defend a lot.

River you and Grisgra make good points but an unknown 10/20 player just figures to be sooo bad that bet/call is correct imo. He is paying off with so many hands there. A-high, K-high, Q-high, the 22 bluff call, whatever. Can't give up that kind of value. With a read obviously this can easily change.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He is paying off with so many hands there. A-high, K-high, Q-high, the 22 bluff call, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's not. There *are* players that will do this, but absent a read, the typical 10/20 player will not call here with 22, K-high, or Q-high.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:53 PM

That doesn't make sense. If there ARE players who will pay off with those hands and this guy is unknown, then there is a certain percentage chance he will be one of these players who pays off. It's like the range of opponents/range of hands that Josh mentioned the other day. Against an unknown it must be taken into account (so must the fact that unknowns figure to be worse players if you datamine or play a lot). In this case I think the opponent range and corresponding hand range is favorable to a bet/call.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He is paying off with so many hands there. A-high, K-high, Q-high, the 22 bluff call, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's not. There *are* players that will do this, but absent a read, the typical 10/20 player will not call here with 22, K-high, or Q-high.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I agree with my fellow wussy here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]