Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-18-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Rare Flop Slowplay with AA

BB is pretty loose like 40/20/1 or something. SB is a fairly solid tag. I thought I could get him to make an incorrect call while at the same time extracting more from loose guy. Also sb might raise my call and i can 3bet or wait till turn. I almost never slowplay in these spots. Does sb have too many backdoor draws in a pot of this size or wil BB check turn too frequently??

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (11 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 12-18-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Rare Flop Slowplay with AA

This looks fine. The board is completely dry, and so few turn cards will hurt you. I like trying to keep SB, so he can improve to a second best. Furthermore, you get to pop villain on the turn, and so get more money in on the big streets.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:13 PM

Rare???

I love the way you played this hand from start to finish.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:26 PM

id play it this way too.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rare???

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I usually don't slowplay pairs in multiway spots like these. Here I felt the combination of a tight sb who is unlikely to call 2 cold (but who will call 1 incorrectly, possibly leading to some v. incorrect calldowns by him) and a BB who will v. likely fire again on turn made a slowplay correct on a board of this texture. Usually, hand protection is a more pressing concern, you have people who will call 2 with a wide range, or you have a flop bettor who you cannot rely on to bet the turn.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:26 PM

this is my standard play.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:37 PM

Looks pretty standard to me too. Great board to let SB peel one off and then atack. BB is thinking, "big pot, I have QJ with top pair. He just called the flop. It must be AK and I shouldn't give a free card." Then on the river he tries the "well I am gonna call anyway so I may as well bet" line. Punish him. Well done.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:38 PM

I'd play it the same
Old 12-19-2005, 10:48 AM

I think raising the flop would not be a good play here. The board cant get more uncoordinated than this, your AA is a monster and your opponents are drawing very slim so you dont want to shut anyone out. By calling the flop and raising the turn you extract maximum value for sure.
After the preflop action it is very unlikely BB has a 2 on the river and he might have CRed it so raising there is also good.
Well played but as the others already said, completely standard.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:45 PM

In a smaller pot I think this would be fine. But when I have a one pair hand that I think is best on the pot has 13 small bets in it when the action gets to me, the pedal is staying to the floor until they convince me I'm behind. I understand your reasoning, but for calling to be better some things have to go right. Throw in the times that one of them spews the flop with a worse hand and the times that you find out more cheaply that you are behind and I think raising the flop is best. I admit that I haven't put any numbers to these factors and so maybe I am incorrectly weighting them (and some others such as how frequently SB will fold anyway, improve to the best hand later when he would have folded, etc.), but the pot "feels" big enough and our hand "feels" vulnerable enough that calling the flop seems a little too cute to me.

Cartman