Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: QQ hand 5-handed

I would raise 4-5x BB preflop with a limper. Given it's 5 handed, your QQ moves up in value, so why not reraise? It's less likely that someone has AA or KK. Villain is also known as aggressive, so it's even more less likely that he has AA or KK.

I bet the flop hard given it's coordinated. By hard I mean pot sized flop bet.

The turn I'd call, he's giving you odds to make a boat, and he's probably got the goods at this point. If you reraise you're only going to get played with by a better hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:05 PM

Thanks for all of the comments.

I was not the hero in this hand, but a friend of mine was and I was watching the hand at the time. He's a regular at the .50/1 tables full ring, but is trying to start taking some shots at 1/2 and playing shorthand a bit as well.

I was interested to hear what people think about the PF play. I think for sure $6 isn't a good enough amount. I would raise to $8 there. I also agree completely about the reraise PF. After an aggressive player raises, you really need to pop him back there if you're going to make that play. I think the min-raise is pretty weak.

I also think that out of position for the rest of the hand, I'm not sure how excited I am about having this player call and having to play a big pot in the first place. I probably would have just called his raise in the first place, not reraised.

The other thing I thought was interesting was hero's perception of "aggressive". He has a good understanding of hand values changing playing short handed, but I don't think he's realizing that aggressiveness can be a good thing short handed.

He did agree after the hand that his flop bet was no good. He of course needs to make a bet closer to pot sized, to either charge a drawing hand, or charge overcards, etc.

I think the turn is interesting. Hero in this hand didn't seem to give as much credence to a straight as some of you have in this thread. In the end he's probably getting his stack in the middle there regardless.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He's a regular at the .50/1 tables full ring, but is trying to start taking some shots at 1/2 and playing shorthand a bit as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the betting was a little weak. If your friend doesn't have a bankroll to support moving up, he should stay at lower limits. There's no room for weakness in NL unless you want to lose tons of money. You need to be okay with losing your stack a few times.