Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 08:57 PM

Default free showdown raise

villain is 35/15/2.5.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

this will be the last bet I put in the pot UI
Old 12-10-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: free showdown raise

I like the turn.

PF question: How often do you raise this. I have a sample size of only 26 with A3s-A5s in the CO and I have openraise 42% of the time? I generally would only do this if both blinds were tight defenders. Just wondering about your thoughts.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:14 PM

I don't do it always for example if both blinds are really lose, but BB in this hand had a 25 VPIP and 75 fold bb to steal. plus SB isn't very loose. If BB doesn't overdefend it's pretty standard for me.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't do it always for example if both blinds are really lose, but BB in this hand had a 25 VPIP and 75 fold bb to steal. plus SB isn't very loose. If BB doesn't overdefend it's pretty standard for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

same for me. just a check-up.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just incase you missed the post or never considered it. When blind stealing consider SB's defense stats. if he calls, he gives better odds for Mr Q2s to call for his flush.

I think you're play is good, You'll often scare a weak queen into checking to you or he will be strong and raise. Of course i'd want a better read Vs this guy though as his aggression is pretty high so he may bluff bet the river?

If he bluffs, i may not raise this and just call down to induce the bluffs.

Also you say for a free showdown, Well if he calls you... Are you not value betting the river when checked too?(I.e. "i dont have a queen", or do you fear a PP?)

Sounds like you had ok read on the blinds to raise this, I'd fold unless a solid SB/BB (and players behind me).
Thanks.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:50 PM

I like it, and the free showdown raise is something I want to start incorporating more.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:53 PM

Since the villain is relatively aggressive, I often just call down here, figuring I'm either way behind a king/pocket pair or I'm way ahead of a flush draw/big cards that whiffed. I'd be more likely to do this if I had a read that he'd bet all the way with a flush draw or something like AJ (many players with these stats might do that in this spot).

Is the main advantage of your line that you can get small PPs to fold or is there more to it?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:01 AM

"I'd be more likely to do this if I had a read that he'd bet all the way with a flush draw or something like AJ"

I think this is backwards mate
Old 12-11-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it, and the free showdown raise is something I want to start incorporating more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Free showdown raise was my bread and butter move at 5/10. It works amazingly well. Be ready to drop it/drastically reduce it once you get to 10/20 though.

Krishan
Old 12-11-2005, 12:13 AM

I meant I'd be more likely to call down (as opposed to taking your line) if he'd bet every street with a draw.