Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-01-2005, 08:06 AM

Default extracting value?

2/4 6-max at Stars

UTG raises, someone folds, I call with AKo, button calls, TAG in SB calls, complete unknown in the BB reraises to $52, UTG calls, I call, button folds, SB calls. Effective stacks $400. Four players to the flop for $52 each..!!

Flop AA5 rainbow. $220 in pot. Checked to me. I bet $75. Fold, fold, SB calls.

Turn 7, check check.

I was hoping to sucker in SB for all his chips with what appeared to be a big pocket pair. But, I also have to consider that by letting him stick around, I'll lose the pot by the river about 10% of the time, and despite all my careful trapping, he still might get away at the end. So I'm not so sure if I like this line or not. Alternate lines would be to blast away at the flop and hope it looks like a scared pocket pair (or bluff) trying to take down the pot, pushing the turn (screw deception, just get the chips in now!), make another milking bet on the turn, or check the flop (I'm pretty sure that sucks a lot).
Old 12-01-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: extracting value?

So SB is TAG. If you had a high PP and saw that flop with 3 others, would you be prepared to get all your chips in the middle? AK is a likely hand of anyone who comes out betting here. If I just had a pair I think I'd give up to any sizable bet.

"Win The Big Pots Early." There's good value already in the middle of the table. Invite SB to make a mistake by value betting every street, and be happy to take it down when he gives up. The reverse implied odds are minimal but they're still there. If you give him a free card and he spikes his 2-outer, you lose YOUR stack.

Of course if you know SB better than that then maybe you get tricky, but against a typical TAG, I just take it down. (But I suck.)
Old 12-01-2005, 08:44 AM

You would think villian has at best a 2 or 3 outer with 1 card to come that is not the time I worry about taking it down now. I either make a value bet or check to induce the river bluff, I dont move in until river. The only card I worry about on river is a queen.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:47 AM

I bet this turn, if not to defend my hand its to build a pot where he has a weaker A.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:53 AM

I screwed up my post. BB is the one who called my flop bet.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You would think villian has at best a 2 or 3 outer with 1 card to come that is not the time I worry about taking it down now. I either make a value bet or check to induce the river bluff, I dont move in until river. The only card I worry about on river is a queen.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not going to get a bluff from a TAG with a big pair. He's going to hope he's good, check it and call a modest bet, or maybe block.

So I make the value bet you allude to. I like OP's flop bet and I'd go similarly (1/3 pottish) on each street.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I screwed up my post. BB is the one who called my flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case I still like a bet, but something weak like 1/4 pot.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:02 AM

Yes I agree with you pink that is why I put value bet first cause I will do it most often. Once in a while I will check if I think the guy is capable of a big bluff but it is not that often. The villian called one bet there really is no reason to see if he wont call more.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:02 AM

I hate 75$ bet.
I would pot it or check depends on the mood. Most ppl thinks small bet = trapping.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:12 AM

Milking bet on turn. You don't need much to protect against 2 outer but you want some money going in and you want to give him a chance to bluff.