Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Final table stars $55+ rebuys with AK

Final 6

Prize layout:

1st: 6k
2nd: 4k
3rd: 2.3K
4th: 1.6k
5th: 1.3K
6th: 1k

Blinds 2000/4000 with a $200 ante

chipleader has 235k and has been active since the tabled formed. hasn't shown down any dust but has been in a lot of pots, and was raising like 5xBB even before he was chip leader.

UTG is shorty and hasn't stuck out to me one way or the other. He hasn't put up much of a fight when I have stolen (his BB).the other stacks are 89k, 92k, 96k.

I have 114k in chips and am a stud.

shorty pushes UTG for 14k, chip leader re-raises to 30k in next position and its folded to me in the BB with AKo.

holla atcha homie. what should i do and why?

EDIT: also if its a factor, i am still learning these suckers. i dont know if thats a factor in this decision or not.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Final table stars $55+ rebuys with AK

Looks to me like the chip leader has a mid pocket pair here and wants to semi-protect it. I think AK is a strong enough hand here where I can gamble with it so I can set myself up for that first place prize. Also if the chip leader folds to your push you can pick up that raise to 30k.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:21 PM

Second the push here. The real money is at first and doubling up (or more) here gives you the best chance. The only thing that I'd worry about is chip leader having mid pocket and the other player also coming in with AK, meaning two outs are dead.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:23 PM

I wouldn't necessarily put chip leader on a mid pocket pair. Probably any raising hand, 88-AA, AJ-AK, KQ. Since he is the aggro chip leader he doesn't have to have a big hand. I don't like the minireraise though. It is more normal to flat call or push. The minireraise is likely a strong hand such as AK, or JJ-AA. It looks like he wants to charge people but wants action.

I am usually one to gamble and play aggressively late in a tournament. However, you are in 2nd place and have an expectation of a good payout. I think doubling up less than doubles your payout.

Given the stage of the tournament and stack sizes and the minireraise, I might fold. This might be the best strategic move. I think this is push/fold. I wouldn't flat call the chip leader.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:28 PM

puuuuuuuuuuuuuush
Old 11-22-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
puuuuuuuuuuuuuush

[/ QUOTE ]
foooooooooooold
Old 11-22-2005, 10:36 PM

There is no doubt you are in a push/fold situation. But I say let him take the UTG out and you've got plenty of chips to find a better situation. Did you feel you could out play the other mid-size stacks?

If you did than I like folding even more.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:36 PM

I don't think a raise to 30k wants action here. Like you said, that makes it push/fold for pretty much everybody. I think this is actually a weak raise to isolate more often than trying to get people to play.

While I agree with the others that a middle pair is possible, I think you're greatly discounting the possibility of at least AK-A9 KQ. Considering the guy has been involved in a lot of pots that may even open up a little more. I push.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you feel you could out play the other mid-size stacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-22-2005, 10:49 PM

The minireraise could be a very strong hand, maybe a big pair, or it could be a weak attempt to isolate from a LAG chip leader. I think it is more likely a big hand.

Chip leader probably has a better hand than the short stack. Let him take the short stack out.

Strategically, I don't want to gamble right now. I want to wait for 2 or 3 shorter stacks to bust and assure me a decent payout. At that point it is to my advantage to play aggressively and try to steal and gamble to get 1st or 2nd.