Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-03-2005, 08:36 AM

Default 96s Blind Steal

Villain is something like 30/15/1.5 but is capable of some weird things postflop. On the flop I planned to call down. On the turn I was bet/folding.

Party Poker Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 11-03-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: 96s Blind Steal

what do you feel was the difference between calling down on the flop, bet/folding the turn and bet/calling the river?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:43 AM

I like the bet fold thought on the turn. Calling the river seems like a poor play, though. Villlian can only have eights full. He thought he'd get tricky when he got trips on the turn.

Betting the river is bad too, because, neither Ace high or fours make sense to how he is playing. I wouldn't have figured out that villian had eights full b4 I bet on the river, but I think I'd be confused enough to just check it through.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:46 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 08:58 AM

What limit is this?

Why wouldn't a 5 or 7 cr or just lead the turn? This play is too weird to be anything other than a boat. I see bad slowplays much more often than missed draws bluff raising the river. I guess what I'm asking is if you can't fold this river to a raise then what rivers can you fold?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

by [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] i mean, i play it the same. though i dont think i bet/fold the turn...i usually bet/call down if he tries funny stuff there.

also, if he had led the turn, im calling and raising the river or raising and betting the river, depending on whether or not i think hes on a draw.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:38 AM

Hi Dane,

I am a little confused by his flop donk / check turn line, but I would also bet fold the turn because a checkraise would very likely be a FPS monster. Once he calls the turn, the river 4 makes me check simply because I really don't want to be checkraised and I think the only worse hands that I can reasonably expect to call me are Ace high and occasionally K high or a worse 6. If I had decided to bet the river it would have been with the intention of folding to the checkraise.

Cartman
Old 11-03-2005, 12:04 PM

I don't like the idea of planning to bet-fold the turn HU against someone who plays weird. Against someone like this, why not check the turn? The pot is small, you have a good hand that wants to showdown and he will often bluff the river if you check the turn, but may fold a loser if you bet the turn yourself. In a 3.25BB pot I don't think it's harmful to give 2 overcards a free card if they will often bluff with them on the river. If the flop had contained 2 flush cards then I think you must bet this turn. If you don't think he will bluff a busted gutshot on the river, then betting the turn is OK also.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you feel was the difference between calling down on the flop, bet/folding the turn and bet/calling the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically his play in this hand started out normal, then got weird, then got normal again, then got very very weird.

On the flop I plan to call down for the usual reasons. Get to showdown cheap, etc. When he checks the turn I decide he either has something like A-high, a deuce, a draw, or a monster. I think it's pretty unlikely he uses a checkraise here as a bluff, so I decide to bet/fold. When he just calls the turn and the river pairs and he checks, I decide he definitely probably has A-high, a deuce, or a missed draw. Some kind of slowplay is quite a far out there possibility and not much of a concern. In fact I will hardly ever get checkraised. So I bet. Then he checkraises. Okay slowplay is looking a lot more realistic now, but so is a desperation bluffraise or even a strange raise from A-high. 8.25 to 1 I deem easily good enough odds so I call.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Dane,

I am a little confused by his flop donk / check turn line, but I would also bet fold the turn because a checkraise would very likely be a FPS monster. Once he calls the turn, the river 4 makes me check simply because I really don't want to be checkraised and I think the only worse hands that I can reasonably expect to call me are Ace high and occasionally K high or a worse 6. If I had decided to bet the river it would have been with the intention of folding to the checkraise.

Cartman

[/ QUOTE ]

I think perhaps you are letting the fact that I did get checkraised throw off just how rare a c/r will be in this spot from ANY hand. Think about the last time a 30/15/1.5, even a wierdish one, used a line like this on you. I really don't think it happens often enough to affect the profitability of a river bet much one way or the other.