Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Sager 5720

I have a Sager 5720 notebook loaded up pretty good right now on pctorque.com. In comparing configurations to the Dell 9300, the Sager seems to come out well ahead in value for performance, at least at the high end, though if Dell happened to come out with something like a 35% coupon it would certainly make it much closer. Here is the current config I'm looking at for the Sager.

I would be using this as my primary computer. Most frequent activities would be poker, gaming, and probably some design and image/video editing stuff in the future. I want this to last and be a solid machine for as long as possible. Portability isn't much of an issue--I won't be hauling this around too often and when I do can deal with a little weight.

Does anyone think given specs like these that a Dell 9300 or XPS might be a better deal? A couple factors that stand out are A.) the by all accounts incredible 7800 gtx vid card is only available on the Dell XPS's, not the 9300's, and for quite a marked up price and B.) I have an extra copy of MS Office laying around so I don't need that, but Dell doesn't seem to offer the option of going without. Another note is that I'm pretty conscientious about taking care of my computers and have never had any trouble in the past, so I'm not terribly concerned about warranty and customer service issues as long as the machines themselves are solid. Of course I do realize that there's always the possibility of something going wrong.

So what is my best choice? This Sager, a Dell, or some other notebook? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Sager 5720

Bump
Old 11-02-2005, 07:26 PM

are you sold on a laptop?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:10 PM

I have no comparison opinoin but I like my Sager NP5660. Mar 2003, the only things that have broken are the keyboard (my fault, I beat it with a mouse) but I can still type obviously ; the power brick (again my fault, spilled beer into it). The fit/finish of it isn't quite as good as some laptops, there is a clear wristpad that has gotten scunge under it, there is no easy way to get under it. The silver on the left side of the wristpad is worn off, exposing white plastic. Basically, it doesn't look good so no resale value. All of the hinges/switches/latches still work fine. I'm really tough on computing equipment, btw
Old 11-02-2005, 08:16 PM

I owned a Sager. I probably wouldn't buy another one. Not only was it extremely heavy, it ran very hot and had short battery life. Why get a laptop if you're only going to use it as a desktop? I got mine because it was easier to transport back and forth from college than a desktop.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:33 PM

I have this: http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/n...oductType=4750

Use it as my desktop, never shut it off. Could not be happier with it. Also: unless you are playing really bleeding-edge 3D games, and you absolutely insist on the highest settings possible, you don't really need the 7800. That card is where a big chunk of the computer's price tag is coming from. Personally, I have a good number of recent games, and the (much cheaper) one I have is way more than adequate.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why get a laptop if you're only going to use it as a desktop? I got mine because it was easier to transport back and forth from college than a desktop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Laptop is best for me for similar reasons. I'm pretty nomadic and don't want to be lugging a desktop/monitor around everytime I spend two or three weeks away from HQ.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have this: http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/n...oductType=4750

Use it as my desktop, never shut it off. Could not be happier with it. Also: unless you are playing really bleeding-edge 3D games, and you absolutely insist on the highest settings possible, you don't really need the 7800. That card is where a big chunk of the computer's price tag is coming from. Personally, I have a good number of recent games, and the (much cheaper) one I have is way more than adequate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your input. The main reason I like the 7800 is for longevity, though like I said I'm also planning to get into some video editing. Not sure how beneficial it will be for that but I imagine it can't hurt.