Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-27-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Inducing a mistake?

Push. You are ahead of his range here. He believes you have two overs. If he's got a set, oh well . . . you're good at poker, you'll get that money back.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 AM

See that's the problem with checking. A push here is hard to sell as AK. I push anyway, I just don't think a worse hand will call as often. FWIW I think he could easily have a pretty big hand here, like JJ or QQ and you will get it no matter. I think pushing the turn looks a lot like "ok you just called my little bet, you obviously don't have much but please fold because I only have A high".
Old 10-27-2005, 02:00 PM

Well, it seems I left some money on the table. I felt like I had accidently priced him in to draw at a set preflop, and I felt he was good enough to play for his set and fold without it. I believed if all the money went in that I would lose. So I came up with a plan that would hopefully get some more of his stack all of the times that I was ahead. If he'd held 66 or something my plan may have been optimal. It turns out he had JJ. Now really he "should" be treating JJ and 66 exactly the same after I've reraised, but in reality he's usually going to go further with jacks than sixes (because I *might* have TT or something...)

This hand also demonstrates a significant leak of mine... I get too timid in big pots. I would never (rarely, at least) make a huge turn bet with AK because all these damn Partypoker players are too loose and I can't count on them to fold their marginal made hands... but I also don't bet big with overpairs there because I think I won't ever get called by worse hands. This is clearly a contradiction and I must be making a mistake somewhere.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:47 PM

Heh. I used to be the same. I would never check raise with a set, because he'll always fold TPTK right? But then I try check raising a draw and they call down?