Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 11:08 AM

Default [censored] Spam Problems

I'd been getting a lot of Spam in my school e-mail for the past few months, and I've been doing a lot of unsubscribing, and it's all slowed down. Except for yesterday I got one telling me about some sotck I should invest in. The e-mail didn't have an unsubscribe link, so I made the mistake of replying to have them remove my e-mail address. Well, that was the wrong move. I woke up this morning, and I have about 20 of the same e-mail all from different mumbled e-mail addresses. None of them have anyway for me to unsubscribe.

Is there anything I can do? Can I somehow find out where these e-mails are coming from, get a phone number or something, call these bastards and rip them a new [censored]?
Old 09-25-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: [censored] Spam Problems

email filters. If your network admin can't help you you can use various email programs that have filtering ability. As an aside, if the postmaster can't help you you should kick him square in the nuts ala Al Capone Jr.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:35 PM

You're getting illegal email. Like smoore said, you're not going to get rid of it unless it gets filtered. I've had my email address for ~7 years and I get something like 10:1 spam per legitimate email.

This is why you should never unsubscribe from an email unless you can be certain it's not spam, but regular bulk email.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had my email address for ~7 years and I get something like 10:1 spam per legitimate email.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have had my regular, unfiltered, mail for 7 years, and I haven't even had an average of one spam per week. The "trick" is not to post your mailadress on public forums or sign up for useless stuff.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:37 PM

Or register a domain name [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I swear 90% of my spam comes through the hostmaster@ addresses.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:12 PM

what i do to avoid this problem is start 2 email addresses, one i only give to friends/family/trusted persons. the other i use when filling out forms online, craigslisting, etc...
Old 09-26-2005, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd been getting a lot of Spam in my school e-mail for the past few months, and I've been doing a lot of unsubscribing, and it's all slowed down. Except for yesterday I got one telling me about some sotck I should invest in. The e-mail didn't have an unsubscribe link, so I made the mistake of replying to have them remove my e-mail address. Well, that was the wrong move. I woke up this morning, and I have about 20 of the same e-mail all from different mumbled e-mail addresses. None of them have anyway for me to unsubscribe.

Is there anything I can do? Can I somehow find out where these e-mails are coming from, get a phone number or something, call these bastards and rip them a new [censored]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using this link. My spam has been reduced 10 fold. Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 AM

I have 2 e-mail addresses. One of them is on G-mail (for poker/fmaily/friends) and I get no spam at all in that account.

The other is my school e-mail issued to me by the university, and there is no way I can just abandon it. It's the address that all my instructors, and the school has. I have no idea what my e-mail got signed up for to do this, but it's ridiculous. The spam filter in the client only has a block addresses feature, and no If the body contains XXX then move to XXX folder or whatever. I can't just block addresses since it comes from a completely different e-mail addres everytime. Usually something like aiohfdsafhesf;snviowth@sdoinsdvn'rieoshg.com

So basically I want to know if there is a way to get an IP address for where they're coming from, and then get some contact info from that. I wouldn't mind having a little chat with these people.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:51 AM

Don't use the unsubscribe links in most e-mails. It's just a flag that says "hey, this is a vaild e-mail address".

Use Thunderbird, or some e-mail client with a Baysian spam filter.