Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 11:18 PM

Default tried moving up and got killed, try again or not for awhile?

well, normally i play 2 tables of 20/40. by the way, as a side question, am i the only person on this site content with playing just 2 tables? back to my original question. i'm very comfortable playing 20/40 and i have 1,000 bb in my bankroll. so i thought it would be a good time to try 30/60. however, it took me only 1,300 hands to lose 100 bb. obviously, that is an insanely small amount of hands but it was enough for me to go back to my comfort zone of 20/40. i know there are a lot of players that play both games. for those that do, do you feel there is much difference? it didn't seem much different to me. it just seemed as though i ran extremely bad. i feel like i should probably wait another couple months to try again even though i still have the bankroll for it. ed miller's article mentioned investing a nice portion of your bankroll before moving up. that sounds like a good idea. do others set up a stop-loss when moving up limits? thanks.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:34 AM

Default Re: tried moving up and got killed, try again or not for awhile?

I am in the same boat as you... I to only play 2 tables. In regards to your question, I think that you are just having a normal bad run at the 30 game. In my opinion, these games are distinctly different from the 15 game, but they are beatable. I happen to play in all three, but spend the majority of my time in the 15 or 30 game. I would give it another shot... if you are beating the 20... there is no reason you can't beat the 30 game.

The fact that you did lose 100BB in 1300 hands you may want to examine those runs a little more closely. Anytime I suffer from a big down swing I take sometime and analyze what I was doing wrong. Just my humble opinion. GL
Old 09-22-2005, 06:34 AM

If you were "comfortable" losing the 100B without getting this huge knot in your gut that made you wonder if you were even beating the 20, then I'd say that was a good stop loss.

Go back to the 20 and work back up to your comfort zone, get your confidence back, and then take another shot. If you get that $6K back in 2 days at the 20 then jump right back into the 30 I say. Still keep your 100BB stop loss though because what you don't want to happen is to have a 100BB+ loss at the 30, and then run bad at your 20 game another 150BB+ or so and you get that knot in your gut I was talking about...
Old 09-22-2005, 02:10 PM

trust me, my stomach didn't feel too good after dropping that much so quickly. it doesn't take much math to realize that 100 bb in the 30 game translates to 150 bb in the 20 game. i was really looking for people that play both 20 and 30 regularly. i've even seen people playing both at the same time. how do you feel the games compare. is it just a matter of having the proper bankroll and being selective or are the 2 games quite different?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
however, it took me only 1,300 hands to lose 100 bb. obviously, that is an insanely small amount of hands

[/ QUOTE ]

I lost over 50 BB in 250 hands earlier this week. But most of these were unlucky (QQ vs KK with rags), trips on flop and getting rivered by a 2-outer when the turn was raised. Losing against flush draws 2 or 3 times. Everyone folds when you raise in MP with Aces. AK and AQ miss every time. KK flops without an Ace but someone hits a set. You know the kind of sucky session. I probably lost a max of 10 BB on pretty marginal play/failed bluff/calling down when obviously beat. That kind of stuff. no tilt though. Just gave up [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] went off to play Omaha 8 slowly with the fish and won back 10BB of them.