Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 09-12-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Overs are hard to play, ideas?

the turn bet is entirely opponent dependent.
raising the flop is also context driven, but as a default play is fine.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:56 PM

I like you flop raise, since if he had a real hand, he would've checked to the pf raiser.

So, based on your read that he was pumping a draw, why bet the turn? If he's drawing, he's not going to fold. For the free showdown?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, based on your read that he was pumping a draw, why bet the turn? If he's drawing, he's not going to fold. For the free showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess in all of these situations when I've got ace high, I'm really just hoping he's going to fold.

I get the feeling a lot in these HU situations that when I raise pf and the flop comes all babys, they know I missed it and will bet w/ a draw, tiny made hand, or any 2. So I guess I'm just assuming I'm still ahead more often than not and raise flop/bet turn.

I'm thinking this is a leak.

Am I giving opponents too much credit in assuming they are thinking this way? Cuz I know I sure do when I'm defending HU.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:28 PM

My typical play in your situation is to raise for the free card (and hopefully a free showdown [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) on the flop. When the flop comes out all rags and you're bet into, if you fold too much with overs the other players will pick up on this and try to take advantage. IMO, pf raiser folding to a single flop bet on a baby board is something even beginners will notice.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
\IMO, pf raiser folding to a single flop bet on a baby board is something even beginners will notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, exactly, which is why I chose to raise even though theres decent chance I'm behind at this point. So yeah, I guess my problem is just when to check the turn through or bet again.

Any guidelines you guys go by?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:54 PM

i'm getting KILLED at $2/$4 6-max and it is because of freakin' hands like this! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

if you thought he was on a draw: i like how the hand was played or you can check/call down too. to bluff a big hand though, i'm calling the flop and raising the turn [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]...but like i said, i'm getting killed at $2/$4 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
\IMO, pf raiser folding to a single flop bet on a baby board is something even beginners will notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, exactly, which is why I chose to raise even though theres decent chance I'm behind at this point. So yeah, I guess my problem is just when to check the turn through or bet again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think that if your read was correct, you may have been able to induce a bluff on the river with your turn free card and call with your ace high assuming the flush didn't come through.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:54 PM

Try calling a flop bet with AA-QQ next time you're up against an aggro. If you've been playing alot of AK, AQ etc, and missed, he might think you are calling cause you missed again. This allows you to get a lot of money from him. Then you can try the same with overs, and he might check the turn, thinking you'll raise him cause you are sandbagging AA-QQ. Then you take a free card.

AFter reading replies (bad?) I think a flop call is fine. But since he checked the turn. why bet? Loose players don't fold. and Aggressive ones like to make other people fold. Turn>check.

Fold the river to a bet, small pot. no point. Nail him next time.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try calling a flop bet with AA-QQ next time you're up against an aggro. If you've been playing alot of AK, AQ etc, and missed, he might think you are calling cause you missed again. This allows you to get a lot of money from him. Then you can try the same with overs, and he might check the turn, thinking you'll raise him cause you are sandbagging AA-QQ. Then you take a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

This works very well at these limits b/c people play so predictably. Take notes when people donk out the flop at you when there is all low cards. Some players will do it if they have any pair. Then when you have AA just call the flop and pop him on the turn. They will call usually call the turn raise and a river bet.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This works very well at these limits b/c people play so predictably. Take notes when people donk out the flop at you when there is all low cards. Some players will do it if they have any pair. Then when you have AA just call the flop and pop him on the turn. They will call usually call the turn raise and a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you agreeing with me or not? I don't get it.