Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Ed\'s Sept. article

It should be stickied in every freakin' section of the forum. Great, great article. Maybe some of the people we've seen post about "going pro" will listen to you, since they don't seem to listen to anyone else.

Great job Ed!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Ed\'s Sept. article

I agree, the article was very well written and made alot of interesting points. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2005, 05:26 PM

i agree 100%

actually it detered me from selling my camry and buying a beamer.

the picture is weird though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 PM

I agree. Really the only "should you go pro?" article/post I've ever read and considered useful. He has two feet in reality AND he manages not to come across as preachy. Good work NPA.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AND he manages not to come across as preachy.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, that's the hard part. I always come across as preachy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 11:34 PM

While I think this was a good article, I would also like to see some discussion by older people such as Harrington and Robertie on when the golden age of backgammon money play ended.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:44 AM

I think he is full of it. Am I the only one? I am sure the games will dry up a little when the poker boom dies down, but great players getting in 1500 hands a day are not gonna have to worry about making rent 5 years from now.

FWIW, I also found the article interesting and well written, I just dont agree with most of his points.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
great players getting in 1500 hands a day are not gonna have to worry about making rent 5 years from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could if they spend themselves to the very limit of their current income.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
great players getting in 1500 hands a day are not gonna have to worry about making rent 5 years from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could if they spend themselves to the very limit of their current income.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt mean to argue that good poker players should spend as much money carelessly and without regard. Like I said I also think the games will get a little bit harder in the future. But it seemed to me that Ed was implying a lot of the people that are doing very well on the internet now may be in trouble some time in the near future when the games start to dry up. I just dont believe it. There is still tons of room for poker to grow, especially overseas. I just dont think the better players have all that much to worry about.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:47 PM

I liked the point about how unlikely it is for a young guy (but really it applies to anybody) is to be grinding it out at poker for 40 years in a row. Which leads to the question: When are you likely to be getting out of the game and what are you going to be doing then?

You have to be making really serious bank to put yourself in a position to not work any more, or even to have a really serious multi-year cushion. I doubt that anybody making merely pretty damn good bank to the tune of say 150k or so a year is going to put themselves in a postion of being able to retire from it, even 10 years down the road.

And quite frankly, what would you guess is the percentage of online players making a living at it right now that are still going to be making a living at it ten years down the road? I'd guess its a pretty small percentage even if you assume the games never get worse.

If you've been full timing it for two years (and how many can say that) you're probably only beginning to get an inkling of what a grind its going to seem like if you're still at it ten years from now. Not to mention 20 or 30.

--Zetack