Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 08-23-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: How much information about poker strategy is really available?

Didn't Greg Raymer get himself a main event win with a few years experience and reading lots of 2+2 books and hanging out here?

All you've shown is that some pros can train people to become good players. That's indicative of a student-teacher relationship (and in many cases financial relationships). I think there are a number of examples of people that became great players in the absence of other great players. Do you have to play against such players? Yep. Do you have to know what they're thinking at the table? Certainly. Do the most talented pros have to teach other players their SuP4 Sekr1t Inf0z for them to learn how to win? I don't think so. Does it help? Almost certainly.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:40 PM

I think the knowledge in books is best defined as "Solid ABC Poker". Divulging it does not negatively affect the authors in any way.

Not only does it generate income for them, but it also increases the pool of players that are still far worse than they are.

So they make money and generate new targets at the same time. (Granted they may not play you specifically, but they are increasing the overall playing pool as a whole, which does trickle up to them.)

I don't think you will ever get a really solid book on the specific advanced aspects of poker unless a poker genius decides to do so later in life just to show how smart they are [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Everyone says Sklansky's TOP is one of the most advanced books, but it is filled with fairly vague generalizations. The best source for that advanced knowledge is still the mid/high stakes forums [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically in a nutshell my question is: Do we have all pieces of the puzzle available, so it is up to each individual to put them all together, or are we missing an important piece to complete the picture?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can ALL be found right here:

Old 08-25-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there were some poker secret wouldn't we see a dominant poker champion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, the river will get him one of these times.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:01 AM

Amazon was so nice to send me a big package with Poker Essays I-III and Sklansky on Poker. I have to admit that I love these books. Not only are they the perfect complement for the more theoretical works, they simply answer so many open questions about all aspects of the game.

Somehow I am getting the feeling that there information is there, it is just spread out more than I thought and one is facing the difficult task to put it all together.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:31 AM

Default This is just plain dumb

How on earth did you calculate that you will see every combination in every position in 100's of hours play? I hope by 100's , you meant billions of 100's. You will not see every combination of cards in your lifetime. Good luck with your poker playing, for gods sake do not become a mathematician.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: This is just plain dumb

[ QUOTE ]
How on earth did you calculate that you will see every combination in every position in 100's of hours play? I hope by 100's , you meant billions of 100's. You will not see every combination of cards in your lifetime. Good luck with your poker playing, for gods sake do not become a mathematician.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=stfu/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=1212td059/EXP=1125068009/*-http%3A//jeepster.org.uk/rants/images/stfu2.jpg[/img]