Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-10-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: More job advice - salary negotiations

This SUCKS!

I haven't read all posts, but I'm going to assume that the initial offer was verbal? The verbal offer/acceptance should be honored and they sure as hell shouldn't cut it another grand. Go to the guy that offered you the job and discuss it with him. Find out what happened?

It sounds like there isn't any way you're going to get the first 1k back, but you should let them know that there is no more "wiggle room" for you on this position. You should also be looking for a new company because this one is not reputable and if this is how they treat employees its not going to go well long term.

I'm a manager, I'm a penny pinching bastard, but if I fight for more $$$ for my people, not less. This totally sucks!

ThisHo
Old 08-10-2005, 05:59 PM

Here's what you say to your boss:

"Is this a shifter car? I cannot drive a shifter car, alright, so we got a little situation here. I can't drive these kinda cars! What the f**k is goin' on! You think that's funny? Would you like to know, smartass? Would you like to know why I can't drive this kinda car? I'll tell you why, I'm used to "luxury" cars. Have you ever heard of a luxury car? You know what luxury means? Ever heard of Cadillac, Cadillac Eldorado? That's what I drive. I drive cars that "shift" themselves."
Old 08-10-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the real world, it is not very uncommon to sit directly next to someone, doing the exact same job, for drastically different pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever this real world is you are talking about, I'm going to guess it's the same one I've been living in while working 30 hours a week through college at grueling jobs, then putting in weekly overtime in a stressful, underpaid job that is actually socially productive because I posess a conscience.

You're right, though, it was silly to post this to OOT, but only because it's been invaded by people whose first priority is to condescend and belittle.

NT
Old 08-10-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right, though, it was silly to post this to OOT, but only because it's been invaded by people whose first priority is to condescend and belittle.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

This was part of the reason I was hesitant to post about my job situation. But, for every five worthless posts, there are some gems, and I do think you got some good advice in this thread.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the real world, it is not very uncommon to sit directly next to someone, doing the exact same job, for drastically different pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever this real world is you are talking about, I'm going to guess it's the same one I've been living in while working 30 hours a week through college at grueling jobs, then putting in weekly overtime in a stressful, underpaid job that is actually socially productive because I posess a conscience.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

So what are you saying? Are you saying that it is not uncommon to sit next to someone making drastically different pay for the same job?

Or are you just being butt-hurt because I said 'In the real world'?

Sorry, but in the real world not everybody sugar coats their comments for you benefit. Some people actually speak their mind and give honest opinions.

Do you have kids? A mortgage? Car payments? People that
depend on your paycheck each month?

If not, no offense, but no, you are not in the real world yet, you are simply working your way through college. A place nobody is forcing you to go.

The 'march-in, demand then walk if rebuffed' approach doesn't work so well when people you love actually depend on you to produce an income.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:31 PM

bwana -

Thanks for your kind words. They are definitely a boost.

As far as what you were saying about working with the state directly, this is something I have thought about also, once I have my MSW. Most counties in NY provide considerable stipends to youth placed in SILPs - Supervised Independent Living Programs. I have been quietly looking into what it takes to get one of these up, running, staffed, insured, licensed, etc. But this is for a ways down the road - I am still very young and I think some supervisory experience in my current agency would go a long way towards preparing me for that.

In the meantime, a little background. My new boss is a really trustworthy, very honest guy. He has always been straight with me on the administrative-level issues that influence these decisions. He told me today that my current boss backed me very strongly for the salary he offered me, and that his boss is genuinely doubtful that the big boss at the top is going to sign the paperwork at that price. Our agency is going through seriously difficult financial times.

Long story short, my new boss is doing his best to work at the uppermost levels to get me my asking price, and at least the intermediary guys are not standing in the way (and some, who I thought might not have my back, apparently do). I brought up the possibility of getting an extra week or two of vacation to compensate (which I would gladly accept, I need it) and that might be on the table.

To those who said get a new job, this agency is not trustworthy - you're right, the way they do things at some levels is really not to my taste. However, when I interviewed at another agency closer to home, I would have had to take a pay cut from my CURRENT salary (which is poor as it is) AND have to pay 40% of my own health insurance. From what I've been told it's the same at most of the other places around here. My current job is frustrating, but they pay head and shoulders above the competition, and the population is really needy. Also, I'll be moving under the supervision of someone I trust, someone who is on their way up in the agency and someone who has gone to bat for me repeatedly. So I'm going to take my chances.

NT
Old 08-10-2005, 07:36 PM

You don't know anything about my situation, you came in and gave arrogant, condescending advice, and you're a jerk. Anyone who reads my posts knows I don't sugarcoat anything, but you are simply an unpleasant person and it seems your number one priority when posting is to act superior to others.

Your advice was not inaccurate, but it was nothing of which I am unaware. Certainly not useful enough to merit the utterly arrogant tone with which it was delivered. Thanks but no thanks.

NT
Old 08-10-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

This was part of the reason I was hesitant to post about my job situation. But, for every five worthless posts, there are some gems, and I do think you got some good advice in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and I definitely appreciate it.

NT
Old 08-10-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't know anything about my situation, you came in and gave arrogant, condescending advice, and you're a jerk. Anyone who reads my posts knows I don't sugarcoat anything, but you are simply an unpleasant person and it seems your number one priority when posting is to act superior to others.

Your advice was not inaccurate, but it was nothing of which I am unaware. Certainly not useful enough to merit the utterly arrogant tone with which it was delivered. Thanks but no thanks.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, maybe you shouldn't have posted the question here.

I think a support group where people will tell you what you want to hear, in a supportive tone, is actually what you needed.