Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Raymer\'s River Woes

And poor/lucky Johnny Chan has a table full of donks bluff raising him constantly with rags in the hope he lays down and says "did you have it?"
Old 07-07-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate when people say that. When someone kills your girlfriend, do you say, "That's life?"

[/ QUOTE ]

No although if I lost her in a poker game I'd say "That's poker".
Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Donks are probably calling pot sized flop and turn bets with pocket underpair 2 outers just so that they can say they "beat" Raymer at the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

From pokertrails:

"The former champ just lost a pot. In a limp pot, he checks the BB. The flop is 8h 5h 8s, and Raymer checks to a limper, who bets 300. Raymer calls. Turn is the 6s. Both check. River is the 3c, Raymer checks and his opponent hesitates and bets 800. Raymer calls. His opponent shows pocket threes."

I guess Greg had an 8, I wouldn't really fault the other guy's play though. Not exactly a huge pot either.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was irony, not an actual opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God somebody isn't stupid.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate when people say that. When someone kills your girlfriend, do you say, "That's life?"

[/ QUOTE ]

while that is a horrendous analogy. i agree, i am annoyed when people say "thats poker" as if theyve contributed anything to the discussion. its about as annoying as hearing some random old guy talk about how "poker players dont lie, they just (insert punchline about us actually lying here)" jesus christ can you get anymore cliche?

rj
Old 07-07-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes cause the proprotion of people who had there girlfriend murdered to people who have taken a bad beat in poker is probably about the same.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Donks are probably calling pot sized flop and turn bets with pocket underpair 2 outers just so that they can say they "beat" Raymer at the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

From pokertrails:

"The former champ just lost a pot. In a limp pot, he checks the BB. The flop is 8h 5h 8s, and Raymer checks to a limper, who bets 300. Raymer calls. Turn is the 6s. Both check. River is the 3c, Raymer checks and his opponent hesitates and bets 800. Raymer calls. His opponent shows pocket threes."

I guess Greg had an 8, I wouldn't really fault the other guy's play though. Not exactly a huge pot either.

[/ QUOTE ]

No the other guy played it fine, except I don't know why he would hesitate to bet there. I doubt Raymer would check the river with an 8.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Raymer\'s River Woes - Donkey\'s at the WSOP ME

Case in Point:

The button raised to $275, the small blind called, and Chris "Jesus" Ferguson reraised $1,000 more to go. The button came over the top for $3,500 more, forcing the small blind to fold, but when the action got back to Ferguson, he pushed all in for his last $4475. The button called. Ferguson showed A-A, and the button flipped up K-9. That's right, K-9. The flop was devastating for Ferguson when it came K-9-4 making the button two pair. There were two diamonds on board giving Ferguson, who held the ace of diamonds, a backdoor flush draw to go with two remaining aces, and 3 remaining fours that would give him the lead in the hand. The turn brought a non-diamond queen. Ferguson needed a 4, a Queen, or an ace on the river for the win. The river brought a 4. Ferguson hit his bigger two pair, and left his opponent on the short stack
Old 07-07-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Raymer\'s River Woes - Donkey\'s at the WSOP ME

[ QUOTE ]
Case in Point:

The button raised to $275, the small blind called, and Chris "Jesus" Ferguson reraised $1,000 more to go. The button came over the top for $3,500 more, forcing the small blind to fold, but when the action got back to Ferguson, he pushed all in for his last $4475. The button called. Ferguson showed A-A, and the button flipped up K-9. That's right, K-9. The flop was devastating for Ferguson when it came K-9-4 making the button two pair. There were two diamonds on board giving Ferguson, who held the ace of diamonds, a backdoor flush draw to go with two remaining aces, and 3 remaining fours that would give him the lead in the hand. The turn brought a non-diamond queen. Ferguson needed a 4, a Queen, or an ace on the river for the win. The river brought a 4. Ferguson hit his bigger two pair, and left his opponent on the short stack

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually isn't outrageous.
Ferguson could have been re-raising with a wide variety of hands and the orginal raiser put Chris to the test. Once Chris goes all-in the original raiser must call as he is pot committed.

The main problem with the play is the size of the third raise, since he left himself pot committed.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:55 PM

Boy, lighten up... Be it a joke or a simple statement from a captain obvious. So I didn't 'productively contribute' to the thread... Seems my simple comment has sparked almost as many posts...

Without trying to come across as overly sarcastic, all we have to go on is a handful of posts about how Raymer lost on river hands to a 'bunch of donkeys', because 'obviously' they must be 'donkeys' if they stood up to the champ on a hand or two... and 'obviously' they are 'donkeys' if the winning hands they had happen to be made/solidified on the river...

Perhaps if someone could 'productively contribute' a bit more information on the specific hands, e.g., as was done on JH's bad luck hand, we may be able to glean a bit more about these 'donkeys'... Since we all know the accuracy of those initial reports on her losing to a run-runner.

Note: it does appear a later poster has posted a bit more info on that 33 hand, though without knowing the exact betting, hard to say that the person with 33 on that flop really was just some 'donkey' or played it decent considering it probably is pretty tough sitting at a table across from Raymer.. that'd probably cause many players to do a lot of dumb things (trying to *not* do something dumb)...