Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Where the hell am I?

PFR was something like 34/5/1 over several hundred hands. The SB was a clown but not a maniac. The other guy was loose and passive.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls, CO folds, Button folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

What do you think of this flop line? What should I have done if there had been action behind me? Would I be better off trying to get a free card on the turn? Bet the river or no?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:33 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Where the hell am I?

with a 9 high flush draw, if you're going to see the turn, you should raise to fold out the Ts, Js, and maybe Qs
Old 06-30-2005, 11:35 AM

I think a flop raise may get pfr out of there with overs and maybe even a K. If SB is a clown, your 8 may very well be the best hand.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with a 9 high flush draw, if you're going to see the turn, you should raise to fold out the Ts, Js, and maybe Qs

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely considered that, but I'm not sure that's going to work against this lineup. Maybe the PFR folds a ten. The button was also a superdonkey, so I can't see the MP or him folding anything.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:40 AM

I fold this preflop very easily against a guy with 5% pfr (and i also fold this in general). I fold the flop with 3 players behind me yet to act. I check/fold this turn (really do u think u can scare 3 people off or do u actually believe you have the best hand AND you will not get outdrawn more often than not?). I check/call this river. I also think you can not get a free card on turn usually.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this preflop very easily against a guy with 5% pfr (and i also fold this in general).

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is a mistake. HU, I'd dump it, but not with the overlay present here. IMO it is a very bad one to fold it "in general", as you say. Each situation is different and should be treated as such.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:46 AM

In what universe are these hands folding?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:48 AM

i like the way you played this

the flop call and the turn bet - seem to represent a flush, and may clean up you flush outs --- no way a pair with the a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is going anywhere though, but i think you would have seen more strength from it

i think the river bet is good but with the calls you are probably beat and can easily fold to a raise

cheers
Old 06-30-2005, 12:28 PM

Once I get to the river, there's no way I'm going to go for the check/call, so I play the river the same. Once checked to on the turn, I think I bet, because you'd think a K at the least would have popped the flop, and y ou never know what kind of folds you can get.

On the flop, I guess I play it the same as you. I really don't want to take the lead in the hand, especially as I could easily get 3bet if I raise. If I just call and it gets raised behind me, I fold UI on the turn. If the turn is a spade, I probably fold to the flop raiser betting and an overcall. Sound ok?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:36 PM

I like the flop call instead of a raise. Any single spade bigger than you, higher 8, or K will probably cold call 2 anyway. If SB bets the turn again, I might throw in a raise here if its a rag non-spade. When he checks, I bet the turn for value since it looks like MP is on the draw. River looks like a clear bet/fold situation as well. Well played.