Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 09:09 PM

Default in serious need of input

hey,

i mainly play the 20-40 NL at commerce around 4-5 days a week, and it is my only source of income.

i am thinking about relocating to the bay area, and the only thing that is holding me back is the limited amount of high stakes no-limit games being spread in the bay area.

i have played in the lucky chances 10-10-20 game and it was decent, however last i heard it is only spread three days a week.

i don't play much online poker at all, and i'm not really interested in using it to supplement my game.

i am wondering if any of you play live cash games for a living, and if so, where do you play and how often.

i know i'll never find anything remotely as profitable as the commerce game, but i'm wondering if playing for a living in the bay area is feasible.

any input greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: in serious need of input

Tommy Angelo has been playing live games in the Bay Area, I believe, for quite some time. Although he spends most of his time playing mid- to high-stakes limit games, I think he can definitely give you some worthy advice (considering he also supplements his income by teaching others how to play both limit & NL poker).

Not sure if he still plays much up there anymore, but Diablo used to write a number of posts about playing live games in that area, as well. Try IM'ing either one of them.

No offense to the NoCal folk, but unless you like crappy weather, horrible traffic with no parking spots, and ridiculously expensive real estate, why would you want to move from L.A. to the Bay Area? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2005, 09:58 PM

There's absolutely no comparison. The 10-10-20 I believe only goes twice a week now (Wed and Fri). It also often plays pretty small. Many people are only playing for $2k or so. The ones who play deep are usually decent players. There is absolutely no comparison to the Commerce games.

On the flip side, the 80-160 limit games at Bay have apparently become very strong and good.

If you're going to stick with being a live NL player, I just don't see it as very economically feasible for you to relocate up here.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:27 PM

just out of curiousity, how long have you been a pro for? it seems like LA and Vegas are really the only places that have consistent bigger NL games. nyc can't even support a constant 10/25 (that is, unless everyone is holding out on me)
Old 04-28-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just out of curiousity, how long have you been a pro for? it seems like LA and Vegas are really the only places that have consistent bigger NL games. nyc can't even support a constant 10/25 (that is, unless everyone is holding out on me)

[/ QUOTE ]

semi-pro for 3 years (paid my way through college)
full time pro for 1.5 years.

i have absolutely no desire to live in vegas, no matter how good the games are.

i don't play limit poker so unfortunetly i am rather limited in my game selection, and the lack of good high stakes no-limit in the bay area may ultimately stop me from moving up there.

and to the poster who was hating on nor-cal, i felt the same way when i intially moved up there for school, however after four years my mind changed significantly.

i love the bay area, and if it wasn't for the poker situation i would have moved back already.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:34 AM

I think you should give serious consideration to moving here, playing twice a week, playing a little online, and going to LA a couple times a month for a few days. Or something like that. Mix things up a little and it becomes much more reasonable to be up here. I agree that it is a much nicer place to live, but opinions vary, of course.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i don't play much online poker at all, and i'm not really interested in using it to supplement my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of interest, why not?
Old 04-28-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Out of interest, why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

there are a couple of reasons i don't play online.

1) at the stakes i play at i like to be able to see my opponents.

2) it is too easy for me personally to get distracted and not play my "A" game when i'm sitting at home on the computer.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:06 PM

hey diablo,

do you play the lucky chances game?
Old 04-28-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) it is too easy for me personally to get distracted and not play my "A" game when i'm sitting at home on the computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my biggest problem.